Spray emulsion on ceiling ?

Coz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got artex on my ceilings and I would like to paint them. They've never been painted and they are smoke/nicotine free.

Any advice on painting them?

I did brush paint the small en-suite ceiling and that took ages, now for bigger areas I'm considering using a spray gun.

The spray guns I've seen in the local DIY stores seem to be only for garden use, one specifically stated that it was not suitable for emulsion paint. What's so 'special' about emulsion paint?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Sponsored Links
Its not so much that emulsion is special..its just a lot thicker...and those DIY spray things just wont work...unless you want a spotty effect finish.

I use an airless spray for emulsion...you need something like that to spray with...to give you an idea of the differnece...an average presuure washer handles about 1500....with water.....an airless handles 3600 psi....with paint.

As breezer says..use a roller....on a stick.

Thanks for the replies.

A roller you say, a long-hair one then I guess as the artex has a 'drip' effect. It would lose some of it's effect as the rolling will break off most of the 'points' which in turn will get painted back onto the ceiling.

Hmmm... 2 passes I guess, once with a dry roller to break the points then again with paint.... sounds reasonable.

A stick? I'm 6'3" !! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Coz said:
Thanks for the replies.

A roller you say, a long-hair one then I guess as the artex has a 'drip' effect. It would lose some of it's effect as the rolling will break off most of the 'points' which in turn will get painted back onto the ceiling.

Hmmm... 2 passes I guess, once with a dry roller to break the points then again with paint.... sounds reasonable.

You've got what we call a bare artex ceiling m8. You need to gently scrape off them stringy bits with a broad spatula/scraper first. The stringy bits are really runs from too much artex. Next stage be carefull to treat as for bare plaster :!: i.e Thin first coat of emulsion then give a more rounded coat when first coat is completely dry. The first coat will soften artex and needs to be completely dry before 2nd coat. use a heavy pile roller it's easier than spray.
good luck

You need to gently scrape off them stringy bits with a broad spatula/scraper first.
:eek:
Really? Then I'll leave it as it is !! Doing that would ruin it, IMHO

If you consider each 'drip' on the artex as a miniature inverted mountain the use of the scraper would cause all these to be like table top mountain, not an effect I particularly want. This is why I was originally considering spraying.

You wont notice it hardly...what I think CC was talking about is long thin stringy bits that hang down....they will break off with a rooler anyway......but they will end up flying off the sleeve in all directions, or sticking to the ceiling

Coz said:
Thanks for the replies.
You need to gently scrape off them stringy bits with a broad spatula/scraper first.
Really? Then I'll leave it as it is !! Doing that would ruin it, IMHO
:?: :?: :confused: :?: :?:
Really? Then I'll leave it as it is
Good Idea Lofty. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back