spur from cooker switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old single cooker with a dual fuel range (gas hob/electric oven) and steel splashback and hood.

The original cooker was supplied from a cooker switch on the wall which also has a plug socket in it.

The drawing shows the layout, and the photo is not of my actual switch but is the same thing (camera has died so found pic on google)

My questions are;

I will use the existing 6-10 mm2 cables to supply the new range oven, but can I also spur from this switch to supply the hood. From reading other posts it seems that people prefer to supply the hood from a ring main?.

If I can use cooker switch can I then also run a horizontal spur from the existing socket to the other side of the range (red x in the picture) to put an additional socket here.

If I cant supply the hood from the cooker switch then i guess I will have to use the existing socket to supply the hood?

Sponsored Links
If you spur off teh cooker circuit you will need to do it in the same size cable as the existing. As that will be 6mm or 10mm then you wont be able to stuff both of them in the cooker switch.
You'll also have the near impossible job of terminating 6/10mm at the FCU.

Give up on this quest and find a way to run the FCU as a spur of an adjacent ring.

PS Don't forget to notify the local authority BEFORE you start any electrical work in the kitchen.

Could use a dual outlet plate, and run to the FCU from there. FCU terminals should take 2 x 6mm², and as they and 10mm² are stranded then 10mm² should also fit.

thanks for your replies, good point, i hadnt thought about trying to squeeze the cables into the FCU terminals...

Is this the dual switch ban?
http://www.alertelectrical.com/Wiri...asyfit-Dual-Appliance-Outlet-Plate-PRW217.asp

if so i guess i could run from the consumer unit to the dual switch.
Then from the dual switch run a 6-10 mm to FCU and a 6-10mm to cooker switch
then run 6-10 mm from cooker switch to range
1.5-2.5 mm from FCU to hood (havent got it yet so will see what they suggest)?

does this look ok? if so i will make a start :D

Sponsored Links
Is this the dual switch ban?
http://www.alertelectrical.com/Wiri...ual-Appliance-Outlet-Plate-PRW217.asp[/QUOTE]
It's not a switch - just an outlet plate - it's customary to have it after the cooker control unit.

if so i guess i could run from the consumer unit to the dual switch.
Then from the dual switch run a 6-10 mm to FCU and a 6-10mm to cooker switch
So you're using it as a junction box...

then run 6-10 mm from cooker switch to range
Which will require an outlet plate...

does this look ok? if so i will make a start :D
PS Don't forget to notify the local authority BEFORE you start any electrical work in the kitchen.

so CU>>>cooker switch>>>outlet plate>>>2x cables 1. to range and 2. to FCU>>hood

sorry if im asking the same questions, just want to get it right

thanks

Yes but don't forget that all new electrical works must comply with 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (or equivalent).

As you have concealed wiring that circuit must be RCD protected or on the RCD side of the consumer unit.

So

CU(RCD)>>>cooker switch>>>outlet plate>>>2x cables 1. to range and 2. to FCU>>hood

Looking at your diagram, you seem to have a double socket to the right of the range. I would put an FCU there and run the hood from it.

But its up to you. How busy are the LABC in your area, by the way. Are they able to get the paperwork out to you before you plan to start work?

Hi Taylor, ive just bought the house and the CU is quite old, rewirable fuse type consumer unit..i cant remember what there is in the way of RCD protection .. im at work at moment but i will check...i aim to get this CU changed, prob next year (will get someone qualified to do this tho :) )

but presumably then, even without using the outlet plate and wiring an FCU to the ring there should still be an RCD for the circuit (CU>cooker switch>range) to comply with current regs?.

im starting to come round to the ring main idea, there is a socket there i can use to spur to an FCU..its just i was hoping to use this to extend to another socket..guess i could manage without that tho...

any suggestions on the best path to run from the socket to the FCU. I am guessing that it would be vertical and then horizontal to an FCU near the top of the hood (close to ceiling or does it need to be easily reached?) and then some flex to inside the hood?. I havent got the hood yet so will look at their instructions as well.

thanks for all the advice

any suggestions on the best path to run from the socket to the FCU.
[/quote

Yes, run it passed the council first :LOL: [/quote]

but presumably then, even without using the outlet plate and wiring an FCU to the ring there should still be an RCD for the circuit (CU>cooker switch>range) to comply with current regs?.
Yes.

If it's already there then you are not obliged to bring it up to date, but if you install it then you really should comply with the latest regs.

im starting to come round to the ring main idea, there is a socket there i can use to spur to an FCU..its just i was hoping to use this to extend to another socket..guess i could manage without that tho...
If you add any sockets then the regulations say those must be RCD protected, as must any cabling buried in the wall unless you go to a lot of trouble to do it in a exempt way.

any suggestions on the best path to run from the socket to the FCU. I am guessing that it would be vertical and then horizontal to an FCU near the top of the hood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back