Spur on ring main.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the limit is one spur from a socket on a ring main. Is this a spur to a double socket? If so, is a spur to two singles back to back in a stud partition ok. I would have thought this would be similar to one double.

Sponsored Links
is a spur to two singles back to back in a stud partition ok

No, unless it's actually a radial circuit and not a ring final.

If you're running a new cable to the new location anyway, then just run two cables and extend the ring final properly.

Also, don't forget, just because your existing socket has two cables connected to it, you cannot assume it is therefore on a ring final, it could be a radial or a bodge job in the past where the socket is already a spur and has been spurred off it. You must test it to find out which is the case.

There's also the FCU option if for some reason you can't run two cables to the new location.

Gaz :)

I know the limit is one spur from a socket on a ring main.
Actually there is no such regulation. You could run two separate spurs, as long as you fully considered the loading of the ring. However, as above, putting it all on the ring is much better.

With all the above provisos -

Two separate spurs to the same position would seem to be rather - what's the word? - pointless?

Use 4mm² cable.

Sponsored Links
The situation is as follows. I have a long partition wall and near to one end there is a socket on each side of the wall, back to back. One of these is on the ring and the other is spurred off with a short length of cable through the wall. I have recently over-clad both sides of the wall with plasterboard which has now been skimmed over. Before I clad one side, I ran a length of 2.5mm to the other end of the wall. The idea was that I wanted a socket at the other end of the wall and would not be using the original spur. Therefore I was going to disconnect the original spur and wire up the new socket as a spur instead. However, I would now like an additional socket on the other side of the wall as well which was why I asked the question. Getting another cable to the far end of the wall would now be very difficult. Both the sockets will be used for table lamps.

Your best solution would be to make the two sockets as part of the ring. That would mean two cables from the socket that is on the ring to the 2 new sockets. Is that possible?

Or, take the single cable that you have got. this will be a spur from the ring.

Where the spur terminates, install a Fused connection Unit with a 13A fuse in it
BG952.JPG

To the load side of the FCU, connect up your two new single socket outlets.

A second cable would require major wall surgery so I will go with either the 5A sockets or an FCU. I think I am leaning toward the FCU solution as it keeps the plugs standard and is easy to implement. Thanks very much for the advice.

With all the above provisos -

Two separate spurs to the same position would seem to be rather - what's the word? - pointless?

Use 4mm² cable.

Will 4mm² comply with BS7671 as you will then have two accessories supplied by a single unfused spur? Daft - I know as technically it isn't much different.

Unless you can find a regulation which says no.
You can have two accessories - a double socket.

You know it makes sense. :)

The situation is as follows. I have a long partition wall and near to one end there is a socket on each side of the wall, back to back. One of these is on the ring and the other is spurred off with a short length of cable through the wall. I have recently over-clad both sides of the wall with plasterboard which has now been skimmed over. Before I clad one side, I ran a length of 2.5mm to the other end of the wall. The idea was that I wanted a socket at the other end of the wall and would not be using the original spur. Therefore I was going to disconnect the original spur and wire up the new socket as a spur instead. However, I would now like an additional socket on the other side of the wall as well which was why I asked the question. Getting another cable to the far end of the wall would now be very difficult. Both the sockets will be used for table lamps.
Nothing like proper planning, and having as a pervasive influence the concepts of "just in case...", and "but what if...", is there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back