Spur to double socket via plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I feed a new double socket from an existing socket (on 20amp fuse at board) by simply plugging in to the supply socket.Access is difficult to chase the wall.Cable will run behind cuphoard units for 6 meters.I understand it should be 2.5mm cable and I'll use a RCB.
Also is it permissable to use 2.55mm flex for ease of routing?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That just sounds like an extension lead to me and would be better in flex than cable (flexibility).

I just went out and bought myself an 8m 4 way extension for the PC. It is what it is (but 1.5mm flex, yes, ok) Just don't expect to plug multiple 3KW fires into it!! (in other words, really depends what you want it fof)

Sponsored Links
Can I feed a new double socket from an existing socket (on 20amp fuse at board) by simply plugging in to the supply socket.Access is difficult to chase the wall.Cable will run behind cuphoard units for 6 meters.I understand it should be 2.5mm cable and I'll use a RCB.
Thanks.

Are you actually using a 13A plug to do this?

Thanks.

Are you actually using a 13A plug to do this?
That was the plan
that ok? will only be used for small appliances,kettle etc.

Is a blown fuse at the plug the worst that can occur?, the supply comes direct from a 20 amp fuse at the board.

Is a blown fuse at the plug the worst that can occur?, the supply comes direct from a 20 amp fuse at the board.
No it is possible the 13A fuse can actually carry 20Amps without failure.
Your flex will be rated at 16A, likely the plug is rated to carry no more than 13A. So it's not an ideal situation if you have a double socket outlet at the end of this flex, demanding 20A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back