Square tap holes issue - to fit round taps in a sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I want to change my old taps for a pair of new ones but the problem is twofold. Firstly the original taps are fitted in square holes filled with a putty type material which is rock solid and won't budge. Secondly, the taps I have purchased are round so want to know if there is an adapter or similar that I can insert into the square hole to enable the fitment of the round taps. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Getting taps off that were properly fitted with putty can be a bit of a mare - I've taken basins off the wall in the past just to get access and a bit of space to work.

It's sometimes easier to remove the taps tails and then use a box spanner on the backnut. Just be careful not to apply to much force and crack the basin.

The new taps will almost certainly fit into the square holes with any need for adapters.

Oh for the days of square bottomed taps. The design was so much better.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. My local garage have taken the back nuts off with a deep socket and a long bar for leverage. Now need to remove the putty/cement somehow and get taps out without damaging the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back