Staining New wood fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I have just had some fencing replaced which looks very nice, trouble is it
shows up the rest of the fence which was replaced last year
I asked the contractor if he could supply the stain for me to repaint the old sections, he explained that the new sections were dipped in a water based
stain, which would only last about 12 months, and I would need an oil based stain, I am not keen on the the products in the DIY Warehouses, I consider they spoil the visual affect of the wood.
So the Question is anyone out there Know of a oil based brushing stain
that will look like the water based stain but last longer the Colour I am told
is harvest gold
Looking forward to hearing from you

Sponsored Links
For fences, I always use the water-based stains. They are cheap, fast and easy to apply, and very easy to recoat. They look good for about 5 years. You can apply extra coats if you want. They leave a waxy water-repellent film on the surface. You can do your new fence at the same time if you want. You can always use the same or a darker colour, but it is no good putting a light colour on top of a dark one as they are not very opaque.

I do my side gate, garage door and shiplap cladding with the same stuff.

Hi John D
Many thanks for reply which brand of stain did you use and did you brush or spray on the fence
regards Roy

I always brush it on, it penetrates better than spraying

I have used Cuprinol and other brands, but I usually just buy the cheapest one.

Sponsored Links
I'm waiting for the first murder trial caused by some donut using spray on fence treatment.

Harvest Gold is a colour in the Ronseal Fence Life range. Costs under a tenner for 5litres, used it on my shed couple of years ago and does the job.
It will be fine til next or the year after, but I might give it another coat this year if I'm bored one Sunday. Used a 4" brush from the pound shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back