Stainless or Galvanised Nails for 2nd Fix Nailer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

can anyone please advise a basic rule of thumb when and where each should be used. For example, my understanding is that SS should be used for oak skirting. Does the same apply to redwood / MDF or will the Galv be ok?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Galvanised nails are cheaper and in most cases they are good enough.

Brass is recommended for oak, because ferrous metals will stain it. I don't know if stainless steel is immune, but oak is acidic, and ordinary SS is only intended to protect against water.

Galvanised and BZP screws and nails will not rust in the shop, and will withstand indoor conditions. However they will eventually rust in damp conditions or if used outdoors, for example bathrooms, windowframes, gates and fencing. I am on the coast and exclusively use SS for outdoor work. Round here SS or bronze are used for roofing due to salt in the air. Inland, galvanised will do.

Thanks for the replies.

I've just ordered a DW DCN660, which is probably overkill for what I want to do, but having looked at alternatives it seemed like a good bet. As I wanted to order various sizes for it and as there's a major difference in cost, I just wanted to check. I'm on the coast too.

Sponsored Links
In general galvanised brads will do for 90% of work with a 2nd fix guns - including oak skirting. If you think about it the tannin in oak is only released to form tannic acid (the substance which reacts with iron to form the black stains) when it comes in contact with water. Inside a house oak skirting at circa 8 to 10% MC and surface sealed (i.e lacquered, etc) just won't get wet enough. If it does then you have a helluva lot bigger issues to deal with! In recent years I have refurbished oak panelling installed in the 1930s on several occasions (originally instled using galvanised nail) and because the buildings were dry there was no staining. Stainless steel I do use outdoors, but only on clear finish stock or stock where acidic reaction might be an issue such as cedar and oak. Only time I've used stainless indoors has been on ash and beech in spas (but they were daft timbers to use in a damp environment in any case - beech just goes black on its own). Never seen collated brass brads to date

Thank you. That's very informative. All the work I intend to do with it is indoors atm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back