Stair Winder Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
We are currently in the midst of a loft conversion. I'd recently designed the stairs incorporating a RH 3 turn winder then a stair then another RH 3 turn winder. My brother who is a joiner has suggested changing that into a 7 step 180 degree right hand winder.

Looking around on the web I can't seem to see one like this. They all have landings. Can anyone see any issues or know if this would suddenly fall into the spiral staircase regs? I was happy my previous design satisfied Part K regs, but I get a little nervous with this design.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links
It will need to comply with Part K and when you have a curved stair (spiral is a continuous circle) the tread is measured at the centre of the width so inevitably in order to achieve the minimum 220 going may mean you have to increase the overall width of the stair to accommodate it. Have you read it, if not you should. Difficult to judge on a forum, really it needs a bit of drawing to make sure it works. Often a bit tricky, loft stairs especially accommodating the door aswell. Don’t rely on the manufacturer to make it compliant either. That said BC can be a bit lenient when it comes to loft stairs so if it doesn’t quite comply it can be worth talking it through with your BCO.

I have read the Part K regs. Reading is one thing, confidence in putting them into practice is another thing!
I think one of my worries is that with a 7 step 180 degree wind it will be hard to achieve the minimum 50mm on the inside wedge nearest the newel post. I know I achieved it with the previous design. Haven't had time to redraw yet.
Was wondering if the concept of a 7 step 180 Deg winder would be knocked back on here by someone with more experience I guess. Thanks for your reply.

It is difficult on a forum. Just intuitively though, it sounds to me like a 180° continuous winder would take a lot more space and create difficulties compared to your option. So why go there? Your option works perfectly well, will be easier to build - and therefore cheaper, and you won't have the uncertainty that the quirky 180° thingy might end up being a bit strange. I feel for you though. I've got a brother who's a chippy and he loves to come up with pain in the arse suggestions as well.

Sponsored Links
I feel for you though. I've got a brother who's a chippy and he loves to come up with pain in the a**e suggestions as well.
Haha!
He wants to do the 180 so it looks pretty winding around the newel post. I think I'm going to wait until I see his drawing and then sift through the regs to see if I can find fault.
I've seen 4 step kite winders so maybe a full 180 through 8 steps would be more sensible if we went that route.

Your brother is correct.
A standard 180 degree winder is a S6W3W3N either left or right hand.
Going S6W3 2229mm. Going W3W3 1780mm. Going on 180 turn 900mm.
Cost of flight approx £550 + VAT + delivery.
Turnings, hand rails. base rails and spindles extra.
Try stair plan.com. They do all our stairs. They are very good.
Regards oldun..

There is no correct about it. It's a choice. I'd go with the W3S1W3N the OP originally decribed myself. Besides the S6W3W3N is 13 risers the OP only mentioned 7.

There is no correct about it. It's a choice. I'd go with the W3S1W3N the OP originally decribed myself. Besides the S6W3W3N is 13 risers the OP only mentioned 7.

We are not foolish enough to recommend a flight of stairs on the scant information provided. All we stated is that the OPs brother was correct.
Based on a floor to floor height of 2600 a flight of S6W3W3N are available, however they have only 6 winders and not 7 as stated in the OPs original post.
We are fully aware that in the above mentioned flight that there are 13 risers with a going of 223 and rise of 200, to make a total rise of 2600, all in accordance with Regs..
Feel sure that the stairs you suggested W3S1W3N is a typing error as that only gives you a floor to floor height of 1400.
Regards oldun

theoldun";p="2731610 said:
Based on a floor to floor height of 2600...Regards oldun
I just don't think it's a matter of being correct or incorrect. The OP said; 'a RH 3 turn winder then a stair then another RH 3 turn winder.' which is an elongated shape - e.g. a SW36W3N. This is just about the simplest double winder shape available and I can't see how a 180° 7 step winder, which doesn't even fit into the same space, is an improvement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back