Staircase reversal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I have an existing and very steep staircase, some 10 treads high and then a final large square “tread” area. The staircase then has one more step as it goes left and right in to the two bedrooms.

I want to reverse this existing staircase and by creating a large square extra step at the bottom, have it flush with what will be a new bedroom door access and a corridor.

I assume that I just detach the existing staircase stringer, create the new extra base/step to the same height as the existing risers and that will give me the height but how does this get detached from the existing wall at the top and affixed at/to the top of the new wall? Does that need strengthening in some way?

I am literally taking it off one wall and turning it around and fixing it higher on the other wall. The house itself is only 10’ 8” wide!

I think that building control will allow this as although very steep is in effect the same staircase.

Oh one last thing, when I attach it to the new wall, I may need to extend that last “going” tread by 15cm so that it lines up with the door (am checking that).

Any input very welcomed please.

John

Sponsored Links
will you still have a square landing each end at least the width off the staircase
will you also still have every door stepping onto a landing fully the width off the door??

Were I you I'd still run it past BC first. They might decide that moving and modifying the staircase in this manner constitutes a new staircase (I think the legislation allows like for like replacement, only) in which case the going would need to meet curent requirements. Do you intend to fix the top of the stairs onto the existing trimmer at the other end of the opening. How would you construct the new step at the bottom and would it have the same going as the rest of the stairs?

Sponsored Links
Thank you both.

Yes the squared areas top and bottom will be the full width of the staircase.

At the moment the staircase stops at the top one step short on to the squared area and then you step in to each room either side by going up another step. Currently the width of the doors is more than the square area below. That is why when turning the staircase and raising it one step at the bottom (so is level), that I need to somehow extend the going on that square step at the end of it by some 145mm, so that way will then be the same full width of the new door and corridor. Just not sure the best way to extend it and how it will then join up and to the wall.

Yes will still run it past BC.

The new step at the bottom will not have the same going as the rest of the stairs as will be deeper, a stand/landing area rather than just a step, although if I have to put just one extra normal sized step the same as the others, I can.

Only thing then is that with just an extra single normal step when coming down you hit a wall after just 370mm after the last step, so making that whole lower squared area (rather than just a step) with a going of 585 makes sense.

You asked about the top of the stairs to the existing trimmer at the other end of the new opening…I don’t know and what with the above (adding a piece at the top) this is where I need advice please.

Many thanks

John
Hope the photos help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back