staircase - storage - can I cut this supporting beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to put in one or two side slide-out storage drawers in the lower part of my stairs, but there is a pretty chunky rail running up underneath the middle of the stair which I take to be a support. The stairs are edwardian in a terraced house, and they appear to have supports either side of the stair as well as this one in the middle. The problem so far as the storage is concerned is that this rail really sticks down into the space which would limit the depth of the drawers I want to put in. I know that my neighbour has put in a drawer of the design I would like to do and there is now no evidence of a central rail under his stairs, but since he moved some time ago I can't ask him how he did it. It does look as if he took the rail out, though.

Anyone have any expertise on staircase structure which might help?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm planning to put in one or two side slide-out storage drawers in the lower part of my stairs, but there is a pretty chunky rail running up underneath the middle of the stair which I take to be a support. The stairs are edwardian in a terraced house, and they appear to have supports either side of the stair as well as this one in the middle. The problem so far as the storage is concerned is that this rail really sticks down into the space which would limit the depth of the drawers I want to put in. I know that my neighbour has put in a drawer of the design I would like to do and there is now no evidence of a central rail under his stairs, but since he moved some time ago I can't ask him how he did it. It does look as if he took the rail out, though.

Anyone have any expertise on staircase structure which might help?

Thanks.
Hi a photo would be good but it sounds like this support could be but without a photo would be the support for the plaster board!

As you can see it's a rail right in the middle of the underneath of the stairs, but it looks as if many of the stairs don't actually even rest on it, and I'm wondering if it was used as some sort of temporary guide when they were building the stairway. Unfortunately, further up the stairs is panelled in so I can't see if the situation is the same there. I'm hoping one of you might recognise this sort of consturction and know whether this is something tht is safe to remove or not.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
do not remove it a timber that size is structural
the stairs are unusual the riser normaly screws into the back off the tread as thats strongest

suspect its badly made and the support is an attempt to stop it collapsing

It is called a carriage piece, not normally used on domestic stairs. Your one has been hand made and fitted after stairs have been pitched.
Without seeing more photo’s, could not tell you why it has been fixed. Possibly undersized strings, and stairs bouncy or squeaky treads.
Can you take it out? Put it this way, it has been put in for a reason by somebody who understands stairs and after the stairs have been pitched.
With no disrespect the stairs do not look like they have been made up in in a joinery shop.You could cut out the bottom 750mm or so and put a leg in, but I would suggest you leave it in.
oldun ;)

As you can see it's a rail right in the middle of the underneath of the stairs, but it looks as if many of the stairs don't actually even rest on it, and I'm wondering if it was used as some sort of temporary guide when they were building the stairway. Unfortunately, further up the stairs is panelled in so I can't see if the situation is the same there. I'm hoping one of you might recognise this sort of consturction and know whether this is something tht is safe to remove or not.

Many thanks!

Hi if you could send the images from behind showing how the steps and risers are fixed into the left wall side and right hand side, also were the bottom and top of this support goes to this will answer all the questions, we have see lots like this and may be a case of adding a triangle support under each step both sides www.shawstairs.com

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back