Stairs kinda messy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon gents. Not long after buying a house and realising the seller was a bloody bodger in every aspect of diy I decided the huge cube under my stairs and above my kitchen table was a waste of space. Plus I kept banging my head on it..

After removing the plaster board I found a mess of wood that is somehow holding up my top few stairs as they go round through 90°.

The end game should be a plastered finish which follows a smooth curve as closely to the stairs as possible, opening up space for a fitted bench underneath for the kitchen table with enough room to avoid concussion.

After having various people talking about 'sticking bits of steel in' I'm now doubting my plans to just brace the underside of each step with a 4x2 secured with 2.5mm thick steel brackets to the supporting timbers on each side.

Should I just crack on and tell the father in law to butt out or admit to having to spend actual cash on a chippy?

Attachments

• IMAG1099.jpg
    IMAG1099.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 1471527754742-1007082660.jpg
    1471527754742-1007082660.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 1471527812688345795836.jpg
    1471527812688345795836.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
What you appear to have is a Victorian cobbled together kite winder - the sort of thing put in by a general builder (or bodger) who wasn't really a chippy at all. Ihave seen all too many of them. TBH, as a chippie, I'd probably have to recommend getting professional advice, even if you intend to fix it yourself because it looks like a proper cat's cradle

Thanks for the input bud, as a ballpark figure what should I expect to pay for this kind of job?

Sponsored Links
It's probably a day's work and some materials. It difficult to quote without seeing first hand. Rates also vary across the UK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back