star delta start wiring diagram please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any one got a star delta start mains and control wiring diagram handy

i found a couple on the net but they dont show were the timer goes in the mains diagram and it also shows the timer contacts on the star and delta lines normaly open is this correct cant see how this would work

see here

also here

Sponsored Links
Would I be correct in thinking your a qualified electrician?

If your not, then you have no business messing with star-delta controllers, they kill if you get it wrong.

However, you need to understand the beastie.

The Star Delta starter can only be used with a motor which is rated for connection in delta operation at the required line voltage, and has both ends each of the three windings available individually. At Start, the line voltage is applied to one end of each of the three windings, with the other end bridged together, effectively connecting the windings in a star connection. Under this connection, the voltage across each winding is 1/(rt 3) of line voltage and so the current flowing in each winding is also reduced by this amount. The resultant current flowing from the supply is reduced by a factor of 1/3 as is the torque. i.e. A motor which exhibits a LRC of 600% and an LRT of 180% will exhibit characteristics of: LRCstar of 200% and LRTstar of 60%. In some cases, this may be enough to get the motor up to full speed, but most, as this is a constant voltage starter, the transition to full voltage will occur at part speed resulting in a virtual DOL type start. To step to full vopanied by a very high torque and current transient. In most situations, there would be less damage to the equipment and less interference tltage, the star connection is opened, effectively open circuiting the motor, and the ends of the windings are then connected to the three phase supply in a fashion to create a delta connection. This type of starter is an open transition starter and so the switch to delta is accomo the supply if a DOL starter was employed.
The star delta is not easily converted to a closed transition starter, and even the closed transition (Wanchop) star delta starter still has the problem that the start voltage can not be altered. If there is insufficient torque available in star, then it will go DOL. The star delta starter does get around the regulations in some countries where there is a requirement for a reduced voltage starter, but in reality, in many situations results in more severe transients than DOL. The main benefits of the star delta starter are that it puts more money in the pockets of the switchgear supplier, and it is politically correct.

yes i am a qualified electrician

and i under stand how it all works

the last time i wired one was along time ago so i was asking for some other sparkies for some advice on control cct diagrams

not on how it all works

Fair dos Bussie, I'll dig out a diagram and post it for you.

Sponsored Links
cheers m8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back