Starter not working - Rover 45 TD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2001 reg

I can't crank the engine of the starter motor.

Have checked the battery and there's 12.7V and have tried knocking the starter with a hammer.

When I try and crank the engine of the ign switch, there's a click in the dash near the glove box when I turn the key.

Would this possibly be a stuck relay switch ?

Sponsored Links
There may be a relay stuck up there somewhere, but you need to look for 12v at the starter solenoid wire (thinner one) when the ignition switch is operated. If nothing shows, then its the switch itself or maybe a relay (if it has one.)
John :)

Indeed, the solenoid wire.

I was mislead by the clicking in behind the glove box but that's obviously doing what its meant to do there.

I took the solenoid wire off and cleaned the green moss off with some contact cleaner, pushed the wire on/off a few times to rub terminal clean then put the battery back on and the engine cranked and started.

Thanks John

Last edited:
Nice one, pleased you've got it sorted! Most systems now use ring terminals for that very reason.

Sponsored Links
The only problem with Rovers generally, in my opinion, is that they went out of business and never should have.

The diesels were ok, but the K series petrol (ladder construction, with the head bolts reaching down into the main bearings) was a pain.....it seemed to be ok in 1200cc form but when it grew up, cylinder head problems were legendary. At one point I wouldn't touch them.
I guess retro styling wasn't to everyone's taste.
Only my opinion!

The K series head gasket issues were the result of a design flaw I believe. Rover knew about it, but chose to bury their heads in the sand as too much time and money had already gone into getting them that far! My friends, the travelling MG-Rover mechanics, fit an uprated gasket amid other tweeks to the K series, which is guaranteed a significantly longer lifespan, (provided the engine is otherwise looked after).

The L series, (diesel), was derived from the Perkins Prima, which Austin Rover had fitted in the earlier Maestro and Montego ranges. With the Perkins heritage, looked after, it is virtually bomb proof. Ok, head gasket went on mine at 153K, but that was partly my fault for ragging it with insufficient oil and water in it. It ran for a good while, with me topping the water up, until eventually I had to bite the bullet as get it done. That was 2012, she's now sitting just shy of 184K, and has passed a MOT with just a advisory for a front tyre.

MG Rover went bust after BMW creamed off the parts they wanted (the Mini etc), and sold the reminder to the 'Phoenix Four' consortium, for £10. The four then proceeded to siphon £millions out of the company, before finally it was no longer solvent and crashed in spectacular style, putting thousands out of work.

The Chinese company that now own MG are building a small number of cars at Longbridge, but sadly the works now is a shadow of its former self.

K series engine seemed OK in the early years. I had G and K reg 214s as company cars. I think people didn't appreciate it only had a small water capacity and failed to look after them. Probably used to maintaining / driving A series engines which would take loads of neglect in their stride.

Sponsored Links
Back