Starting off in construction and joinery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a few questions about starting, and working your way up to a self employed carpenter and joiner. Ill start from the beginning. I am currently 14 years old, and have just chose are vase options, I have chose a new course we have at our school, construction, which begins with everything we do in construction eg. Pluming, electrical work, decorating etc. after the 2 year course we can continue in the thing we want, in my case carpentry and joinery. But I don't know what happens after that, as in apprentaships and so on. So I was wondering if any of you have done something like this and could give me a bit of an insight of what it's like.
Also I would like to be self employed (because I heard in company's you focus on one thing, whereas self employed I could do it all) so I would like to know what being self employed is like, and how harder it is, and also how much you get annual.

Thank you, ciaran

Sponsored Links
I would say being a carpenter would give you the greatest range of work and its easy to move sidesway's from carpentry to joinery or cabinet making etc.. as a carpenter you would be able to 1st fix 2nd fix, new build, refurb,shop fit roof cutting, joinery, shuttering, exhibision work, kitchen fit,timber frame and the list goes on Use all the reasources around you to search for an apprenticeship, its the best start,If you cant get an apprenticeship ,Its possible to do carpentry courses at your local FE College and if your any good you will get head hunted serious local firm's trawl the colleges for the best student's , depending on the area you come from,you will probably need some sort of transport ,Your on the move a lot in the costruction industry, get a few years behind you in the industry building up experience and your tool kit and a van by then you'll be ready for self employment.

Sponsored Links
Back