Stay white gloss paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have a ongoing dlimema here at home . All my interior doors (11 of them) which I fitted 15 years ago were stained mahogany colour by myself at that time.
7 years ago- I decided to brighten things up and paint them all white.
I gave them a quick rub down, cleaned them and then undercoated them and finished with 2 coats of white dulux gloss paint.
Unfortunately after 6 months or so- they lose their colour and so- I paint them again. It's like painting the Forth bridge --it never ends.
I know I can throw them away and start afresh with cheapo cardboard doors- but an loathe to do so-.
Does anyone possibly know which is best paint to use to keep the doors whiter longer .??.
I have tried different makes of white gloss- but- they dont seem to make much difference at all.
Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Did you use an oil or a water based paint system?

Dulux Satinwood is great, its oil based and covers really well, you will only need a small tin aswell, it lasts for ages.

All oil base paints yellow after time and this is far more apparent since the lowering of the voc levels, the so called 2010 paints, if you want a paint system that does not yellow you would be looking at water/acrylic based systems. Although these systems can be difficult with regard to achieving a good finish and as yet dont have the sheen/shine levels of their oil based counterparts they dont yellow. Let us know your thoughts.

Dec

Sponsored Links
All oil base paints yellow after time and this is far more apparent since the lowering of the voc levels, the so called 2010 paints, if you want a paint system that does not yellow you would be looking at water/acrylic based systems. Although these systems can be difficult with regard to achieving a good finish and as yet dont have the sheen/shine levels of their oil based counterparts they dont yellow. Let us know your thoughts.

Dec
Thanks Dec,
I have a feeling I tried acrylic paint a few years ago- but I cant be sure.
I'm not too fussed about the actual finish--but I'd make sure through preparation that I got the best I could get.
I just want the paint to stay whiter longer--if thats possible ?.
Any particular make of paint you would recommend ?.
Thanks,
Pete

Firstly to achieve the best finish you should apply these systems using a good quality synthetic bristle brush such as a Purdy, there is also a product called Floetrol which is a paint conditioner that you can if you wish add to the system, this will extend the open time of the products and greatly increase the flow of the paint.

In my opinion Johnstones /Leyland would be the products of choice, For Acrylic primer undercoat, Leyland, and then either of their Acrylic glosses. Before application you should flat back the existing gloss with around 360 to 400 grit wet.

Dec ;)

Firstly to achieve the best finish you should apply these systems using a good quality synthetic bristle brush such as a Purdy, there is also a product called Floetrol which is a paint conditioner that you can if you wish add to the system, this will extend the open time of the products and greatly increase the flow of the paint.

In my opinion Johnstones /Leyland would be the products of choice, For Acrylic primer undercoat, Leyland, and then either of their Acrylic glosses. Before application you should flat back the existing gloss with around 360 to 400 grit wet.

Dec ;)
Thanks Dec,
I appreciate the replies off you and others.
I will take your advice and do a couple of doors in next few weeks - the way you say.
Cheers Bud,
Pete

Pete, I wish you the very best of luck with regard to your task in hand, as I have said these systems can prove difficult regarding application yet they wont yellow. If you run into any problems then you know where we are.

Good luck

Dec

Pete, I wish you the very best of luck with regard to your task in hand, as I have said these systems can prove difficult regarding application yet they wont yellow. If you run into any problems then you know where we are.

Good luck

Dec

Thanks Dec-,
I should have also mentioned-- it's not just the doors-- it's door frames, Arcs and also stair rails and spindles too.
No skirtings though- I took the hardwood skirts off and replaced with MDF ages ago- but- saying that- they yellow soon also.
My own fault I guess- My business was in manufacturing and building hard-wood conservatories- and I just got a bit carried away with the hardwood thing !! Hence my house !!.
As times change and also as we get older- we need something lighter -hence 'all white'.
Thanks again- and be sure- I may be in touch hahaha.
P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back