Stealth Car Tax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under the new rules the Government gets an extra months Car Tax every time a car is sold. For example, you sell your car mid month, which means you cannot claim that months tax back (only full months can be reclaimed). Then the new owner has to tax the car from the 1st of the month, hey presto - twice the tax!

Sponsored Links
That part of the process has never been any different. Refunds were only ever for full months and if you want to use an untaxed car on the road mid-month you have always been liable to pay the tax for that month.

The only significant change has been that a car cannot be sold with tax and refunds are automatically issued to the previous owner.

They need the extra money to fill in all the potholes in the roads. . .

Sponsored Links
That part of the process has never been any different. Refunds were only ever for full months and if you want to use an untaxed car on the road mid-month you have always been liable to pay the tax for that month.

The only significant change has been that a car cannot be sold with tax and refunds are automatically issued to the previous owner.

Old Rules- Man A taxes car for 12 months. Sells it 6 months later. Man B buys it and enjoys 6 months without paying tax.

New Rules- Man A claims back 5 months tax. Man B pays for 6months tax. Car is taxed twice in sale month

Use some common sense. Complete the transaction on the 1st of the month - seller gets tax back for the preceding complete month, buyer taxes car - no duplication of tax.

Simples :D

Either way - it's old news.

Yes it does mean double tax on that selling month. That's been discussed here before somewhere if I'm not mistaken. The dice is always loaded in their favour.
Looking at it from a bit of a slant though, it does stop people buying a car that's taxed for several months, saying "OK mate, don't worry, I'll send the forms in all together" and burgering off with a car essentially in somebody else's name, and taxed for a period of time, which (presumably) then doesn't set the ANPR off for no tax, and so may not be insured etc?
The old owner is going to send in to reclaim his tax, leaving the car untaxed so it might stop (a potential) loophole.

Of course had the government NOT been interested in making some extra tax money you could have Road Fund Licence (car tax to you and me) run for 365 days/182 days etc etc that way we the punter wouldn't be out of pocket. As it's all a simple database entry and ANPR now this would have been a quite simple, amendment

I think it will help cars to get MOT'd now , that might not have been when they were bought with a tax disc on them?

Or does that make any differnce?

Of course had the government NOT been interested in making some extra tax money you could have Road Fund Licence (car tax to you and me) run for 365 days/182 days etc etc that way we the punter wouldn't be out of pocket. As it's all a simple database entry and ANPR now this would have been a quite simple, amendment
That would require joined up thinking, and having a team that could develop software to suit the job. Simple for normal business, but it seems that our illustrious leaders (or at least the people employed by them / us) have difficulty in getting stuff like this to work. I was on the pension website yesterday. it all looks so 1995 somehow.

Looking at it from a bit of a slant though, it does stop people buying a car that's taxed for several months, saying "OK mate, don't worry, I'll send the forms in all together" and burgering off with a car essentially in somebody else's name, and taxed for a period of time, which (presumably) then doesn't set the ANPR off for no tax, and so may not be insured etc?
The old owner is going to send in to reclaim his tax, leaving the car untaxed so it might stop (a potential) loophole.

All that happens in that case is the old owner gets a fine from the DVLA for having an untaxed car, even if it isnt caught on an ANPR camera.
I had the misfortune to live next to a pair of scrotes who were on the run from half the debt collectors and latterly policemen in Essex, and they'd buy a cheap banger and never send off the forms so all the fines and bills went to the previous owner.
But it gets better - one day, long after they'd fled the short arm of the law, I found a car blocking my drive so phoned the police who worked out it had been sold and the new owner hadnt registered it. A bit later I glance out the window and see the scrotes' dad & brother-in-law (who lived just around the corner) trying to bust the steering lock off. So I called the plod to report a car being stolen, and I recognised one of them as being related to certain scrotes who were on the run from them.
THAT got a reaction, but the coppers who turned up spoke to them, then turned off the blue lights and cleared off.
It wasnt until the next day someone put two and two together, by which time both car and scrotes were long gone.

Having to claim the tax back will at least encourage the seller to contact the DVLA to get his money back.

They'll know then. . .

Yeah, but having to claim the tax back will at least encourage the seller to contact the DVLA to get his money back. They'll know then. . .

Never underestimate the incompetence of the DVLA!
True! And of course when they cork it up then you're the one who carries the can for any problems that might arise from ownership etc. :(

Yeah, but having to claim the tax back will at least encourage the seller to contact the DVLA to get his money back. They'll know then. . .

Never underestimate the incompetence of the DVLA!

Yep. Year before last, I taxed 'Er Indoors car for 6 months. Bizarrely, The DVLA applied 18 months tax to it on their records - although her disc was only for the 6 months. Work that one out? :confused:

As already said, now that there is no disc on the windscreen, surely it should be possible to tax cars for X number of days, subject to a sensible minimum. Then refunds can be paid for whole days as well. But, like everything else these days, everything is geared to extract as much money out of the paying public, who are kowed into following the rules.

Sponsored Links
Back