steel beam design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep coming across this one again and again!!

I previously have gained a distinction in HNC structural design and elements, I have recently reviewed all my textbooks and are again competent of simple steel section, selection and design.
What i am finding though is that my local authority will not accept my calculations and specifications as adequate for approval as i am not an affiliated or suitably qualified and insured Structural engineer.. The way i see it its maths not phycology, if a set of calculations determine a steel beam is suitable for its load bearing location and the nessessary elements are as textbook (padstones etc) then why can they not accept them...

Grr Russell

Sponsored Links
sorry woody but I do not know the answer to your question (without research) but what does that matter, that's exactly why I get uptight.

Sponsored Links
sorry woody but I do not know the answer to your question (without research) but what does that matter, that's exactly why I get uptight.

That's your answer then.

It matters, because BS 5950 or Eurocode 3 are the accepted design principles that you need to use to demonstrate that the beam is adequately designed.

If you use those methods then the council will accept the calculations irrespective of whether you are insured or a structural engineer.

my local authority will not accept my calculations and specifications as adequate for approval as i am not an affiliated or suitably qualified and insured Structural engineer..

It's nothing to do with that - a local authority building control department cannot refuse to accept the calcs on that basis alone.

More likely, it's because you have not done the figures in the correct way. What is surprising is that you have a qualification in design of structural elements, but are unaware of BS 5950 or EC3?

ok Tony, my course was in 1994, i have worked out my beam design from my exercise books and a steel selection sheet with all the technical stuff that i once learned but did not retain. I have used this to help a freind detrmine that is 203 x 102 that he as installed very nicely over a 1500mm opening is satisfactory ( possible to all principles)
As I have said the local authority as told him they will not accept the calculations as I am not a structural engineer.

Admitedly I am nowere near up to speed on what design principles are endorsed, but just find it frustrating.

Just realized you are in Wales - maybe they can legally refuse to accept calcs other than from a SE?.
Or maybe your council doesn't have an engineer on board?
Either way, just bad luck.

A 203x102 will easily span 1.5m - something smaller would have done.
Presume you had the bearings worked out as well?

Ask the council to explain their authority to reject calculations not provided by certain people.

You can print a business card with "structural engineer" written on it, and you will be a structural engineer. The job title is not protected.

It's the policy of my local authority to insist upon the retention of a 'Chartered or Civil Engineer' to detail structural works. These titles are protected - although I'm not sure of the legal standing of the policy itself.

It's the policy of my local authority

Well they can't do that, and it would not stand up to any challenge.

Just as any Harry, Tom or dick can draw the plans in the first place.

BTW, "chartered" is a protected title, but anything else with engineer is not.

Then they are acting ultra vires because there is nothing in the legislation that requires structural engineers to be chartered.
Building Control's job is to check the figures as submitted, either by their own in-house engineer or by contracting the work out.

Plenty of chartered electrical/electronics engineers over on the Electrics forum, just ask one of them to sign it off?

If you're not designing to BS 5950 or BS EN 1993 what are you using as the basis for your design? Or have you just tried to designed it based on bending and M/I=stress/y?

If you've done a bit of Structural Design before and want to get up to speed on Eurocodes a book like 'Design of Structural Elements' (Chanakya Arya) may provide a good intro!

203x102 over a 1500 span !!!! what in gods name is it carrying ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back