Steel beam up to ridgeline

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have put in for planning permission for a loft conversion which needs the ridge line raising and having about a 4.5m x 203mm rsj installing there. Any ideas as to how the hell we can get it up there without using a crane (which isnt really an option due to location) would be gratefully received. I have heard it is possible to have more than one beam and bolt them together, but i am presuming this would have a structural engineer rubbing his hands and dollar signs in his eyes!

Sponsored Links
If you are talking of manhandling the RSJ up there the first thing you're going to need is substantial scaffolding, my advice is to get a few different firms along, tell them what you're doing and see what they suggest, I would also go as far as asking if they could assist with the manhandling bit as they are as a breed quite fit and strong, I usually pay circa £500 to have a 1930s decked out to do a roof, I have had quotes for double this in the past.

Hi

I have put in for planning permission for a loft conversion which needs the ridge line raising and having about a 4.5m x 203mm rsj installing there. Any ideas as to how the hell we can get it up there without using a crane (which isnt really an option due to location) would be gratefully received. I have heard it is possible to have more than one beam and bolt them together, but i am presuming this would have a structural engineer rubbing his hands and dollar signs in his eyes!
Ropes, cables, block & tackle, many helpers, safety lines if one breaks.

How much weight we talkin' about heah?

Hi

Ropes, cables, block & tackle, many helpers, safety lines if one breaks.

How much weight we talkin' about heah?

He could go and get some Polacks of the street or wait another 6months when the Roma's get here they'll be "two a penny"... :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If your beam is a 203x102 UB (8"x4"), then it will weigh 23 kg/metre.
So total weight approx 110 kg - say 250lbs - not a fantastic weight for
a few labourers.
You could have it spliced in the middle with top and bottom plates, but the SE will charge (presumably in £ and not $ unless you get porque to do it) and there will also be the cost of fabrication.

If your beam is a 203x102 UB (8"x4"), then it will weigh 23 kg/metre.
So total weight approx 110 kg - say 250lbs - not a fantastic weight for
a few labourers.
You could have it spliced in the middle with top and bottom plates, but the SE will charge (presumably in £ and not $) and there will also be the cost of fabrication.

At that weight I strongly suggest letting two or three scaffolders get it up there for you, they are well used to throwing lumps of steel around and are quite agile, and as they work with each other all the time they work as a team.

[quote="Porque223";p="2805609" Over here we have "Hispanics".[/quote]

aka 'spics'! :LOL:

or wait another 6months when the Roma's get here they'll be "two a penny"... :LOL: :LOL:

You mean gypsies? Over here we have "Hispanics".
He means Romanians...but same difference really... :rolleyes:

110kg? Not massive is it? I've bench pressed that and I'm only little! :p
http://www.lonkilgore.com/freebies/bench_standards_pounds_small.pdf

Our Latinos take on dangerous, low paying work and some die. I doubt that they are mourned by anyone outside of their immediate family. And they come here anyway.
I think I don't know how good I have it.

Not for a few years I admit...in fact only did it once...added 2 more kg and trapped myself under the bar! According to Porque's link at 160lb it put me at the top end of intermediate :D
That's his wallet after a few beam calculations
If only I was self employed like you Woody...as it is the partners take the majority of it!
Naah; he's only just learned how to work out the reactions each end! :evil:
I get TEDDS to work it all out for me...why buy a dog and bark yourself? :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back