Stepping stones, probably..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

I need to add some stepping stones, or equivalent, to the garden as the grass which was laid about 18 months ago is taking some hammer.

Firstly, are there any alternatives?

Secondly, is it the same princple of dig deep, hardcore, then cement, then slab?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
could use grass guard which is a plastic mesh that sits at grass level to protect teh ground and lets grass grow through.

if laying the slabs, then bed them on a solid wet bed of mortar and haunch the sides. make sure they are at the right level so the mower will pass over without catching the edge of them. No need for any hardcore etc under, once youve dug out to get the depth for the level.

Thanks Thermo, and thanks for all your help in the past too!

Are you saying that I just need to dig down to a level that'll take the depth of the mortar and stone? Also, and sorry, not sure what haunch, means(!)

You could use sections of reclaimed sleepers, they can look quite good or you can actually get concrete lookalike sleepers which don't look as bad as you imagine esp after a bit of weathering, about an inch or so thick and laid as you would a paving slab.

Sponsored Links
yes thats right. Haunch means to slope the mortar up the sides.

sleepers do look good, but oak sleepers look great, especially when oiled. Id never use reclaimed ones, full of too much crap

Thanks guys.

I have a load of sleepers in the garden already as a retainer wall. Need to oil them this summer though!

I wanted to use a solution in the garden that is child friendly, doesn't lose much grass space, but still protects the grass. Will probably opt for stones but what is this grass guard stuff like? Does it really do the job? I know me and the missus would stick to the stones but kids won't! Maybe the grass guard is the way forward. Does it really work, protect the grass and still look good?

To haunch the sides I am presuming that I need to remove a bigger section of turf then the footprint of the slab and then replace some of it around the sides of the stones when they're dry?

Thanks again

Including what I've just put up below, this grass guard stuff is looking quite promising.

It seems easy and convenient and will cover the whole 'path' area. Does it really work or does it just limit the wear a little

One more thing, as well as the posts above, if this grass guard is the option does anybody know the best supplier?

Does anybody have anything further to add on grass guard?

This is looking like the best option for me but wanted to make sure I got some good stuff

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back