Sticking Siphon - having trouble identifying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we've got a sticking siphon that I can't identify.

I've taken a picture if anyone could help?

Is there anything I can do to fix it without replacing. It has arrows on the top saying lock and unlock but I'm loathed to twist it and find out what happens until I know I won't wrench the thing off in my hand and make it worse.

Thanks

IMG_1470.JPG

Sponsored Links
The arrows allow you to twist the whole flush valve off of the coupling at the bottom. 1/4 twist anticlockwise usually unlocks it, it unlocks with a click.

Hi Madrab,

thanks for your reply.

I know know that this isn't a siphon but a drop valve. :)

I've twisted the green top and the valve comes out of the "housing" and moves up and down freely. It's only when I put it back it fails to drop back and the toilet continues to drain into the bowl until we give the valve a push. I have run my fingers round the inside of the housing to see if it felt like anything was there to make it stick but it feels nice and smooth.

I was going to ask about replacing the whole thing but decided to give the inside of the housing a rub down with wet and dry and this seems to have fixed.

Will monitor it and see if I have managed to fix it.

Last edited:
When you're talking about a tenner to replace something that if you fix may cause problems in the future, I'd go for a replace :)

Looks like you have plastic screw heads in there too so getting the cistern off to swap out the flush outlet shouldn't be an issue either. Just get the doughnut back onto it's 'grooves' when putting the cistern back on or it'll leak. When you get it off you'll see what I mean.
If the fill valve is plastic just be careful the nut is on square before tightening when refitting the cold inlet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Madrab. Replacement sounds like the best option. I'm assuming I can convert my toilet from a drop valve to a dual flush siphon?

Chuck it out and buy a Fluidmaster PRO550UK or PRO750UK instead (550 is a push button, 750 is a handle)

Finally got round to removing the cistern and taking out the old drop valve and the outlet pipe is 2" in diameter.

Everything I've seen is 1 1/2"

Is 2" a common size or an old/new size?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions but I do like asking questions :)

Sometimes the base part of the valve goes slightly out of shape (oval) so although the top part feels ok when removed, it doesn't fit when replaced. The only option is to replace.

Need more advice please. I took our 2" drop valve to several merchants at the weekend and nobody can get a replacement part. It seems that nobody does a 2" lever flush drop-valve or siphon any more.

They phoned Ideal Standard (we think it's an IS toilet) with the numbers on the inside of the cistern and they said it was an obsolete part which I find surprising as the house was only built in 2005 so almost brand new in my eyes.

So my question... Where can I get a replacement part or alternative while retaining my lever flush?

Thanks.

For a tenner, I'd replace it.

Hi Madrab,

I'm trying to but as it's a 2" outlet and a lever rather than a fancy push button. Plumb Centre are struggling to find a replacement. I've spent hours looking on the web and I can't find any either. There are loads of 1 1/2" outlets but not 2".

Lol, wouldn't be the first time. Maybe they didn't know or you got the newbie on the desk. Either way they're not plumbers usually so may not have come across it before.
That's me being kind to them :)

One of them and dry the inside base of the cistern and a little bead of silicon just to be sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back