Sticking the toilet to a tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i fitted a new toilet yesterday, yay for me. however when it came to binding the toilet to the floor i found to my dismay that unlike most toilets where you just plug and screw downwards on the outside of the loo, my loo does not have this.

instead there are 2 screw holes travelling horizontally into each side of the loo and a crappy universal fitting kit. this consists of 2 L bend pieces of plastic with travelling sliders that have a screw hole. the idea is to somehow fit your toilet into the final location and then magically dislocate your arm and head to somehow fit these bastard little L things to the floor and loo *inside* the hollow of the loo. the holes are impossibly far to the front of the loo and i've decided it's actually bloody impossible.

can i use somthing like no nails instead to provide the necessary hold in place for the loo? the floor is ceramic tiles which have a grid textured surface.

Sponsored Links
You cannot reply on adhesives in my opinion.

Can you screw some strong blocks of wood to the floor and then place the pan over these pieces (they are then inside) and drive screws horizontally in? Similar principle: some loos are supplied with L shaped brackets that have lots of small holes in the upstanding part so the screw can locate any one of these. These also screw to floor prior to placing pan over them. Getting the placement correct usually involves drawing around the pan on the tiles and working out where they'll go. Maybe these brackets can be purchased?

crappy universal fitting kit. this consists of 2 L bend pieces of plastic with travelling sliders that have a screw hole. the idea is to somehow fit your toilet into the final location and then magically dislocate your arm and head to somehow fit these b*****d little L things to the floor and loo *inside* the hollow of the loo. the holes are impossibly far to the front of the loo and i've decided it's actually bloody impossible.

why don't you fit the brackets first like your surpposed to.
then fit the wc ?

because it would be impossible to get the exact location in my view, maybe i'm missing something

Sponsored Links
because it would be impossible to get the exact location in my view, maybe i'm missing something
i recon you must be missing something.
as i never seen a problem with it once you mark where the wc and screw holes are.
and allow for the thickness of the wc base.

Yes you can use silicon to secure the pan to the floor, either white or clear depending on colour of the tiles. Run a small neat bead all the way around the bottom of the pan. Will never move ;)

I agree with seco.

Mark where the holes line up when the pan is in place, then measure the thickness of the pan (how far the screw will go through), then fasten the "L" brackets to the floor.

Should work fine ;)

anyone that relies on silicone alone to secure a wc is a bodger.

i like to know its solid when i leave not that some old dears fell off it in the middle of the night.
you'll end up with your arse kicked if she hurts herself you you haven't used the fixing holes provided to secure it.

09.gif

Never had to go around to pick grannies up off the floor yet, never had one come away at all unlike when screws have rotted away after being pi**ed on for a year or two. :rolleyes:

mate, all u do is, sit the wc in position, and where the holes on the pan are, put 2 pencil marks on the floor, take the wc back out, measure the thickness of the pan, say its an inch, measure 1 inch from the mark u have already made and that is where the outside of your bracket shhould be when it is fixed, now just place the toilet back into position and u should be bang on, hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back