Stihl HS 74 Hedge Trimmer instructions/eploded diagram

do not put contact details in your posts
Hi, reading the replies it seems you may be able to help, my hedge trimmer today decided to suddenly go slow !! and refuses to rev up properly , I do understand 2 strokes and have v.good experience with them but not "hedge trimmers"and the problem seems to be associated with the drive as though the brake is always on ,although it is a relatively unused item ? have tried cleaning out the blade and doing the normal checks plug etc ,do these machines have any brake/clutch issues? would you be kind enough to send a copy of the manual or parts book ,I would love to see whats inside the lower gearbox BEFORE I try stripping it down to avoid bits falling out every where when I open the case : )

Hope you can help me I know this is a late post,

Thanks for your time ,Dink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Its important to see that the blade fingers aren't bent and catching, and the blade sliders aren't too tightly adjusted as this gives massive friction.
Check the air cleaner for blockage, if thats ok pop the exhaust off and try to run the machine. At the same time, have a look at the piston/ring condition through the exhaust port.
There's nothing to fear by turning the machine over and removing the bottom gear plate (Torx TX27 size screws) - just loads of grease and a gasket that usually survives.
John :)

Thanks for the reply, sussed it today, took the exhaust off and discovered a smalll steel screen (spark arrestor) which was totally blocked, looked in bottom and as you say nice and greasy and gasket is nice and thick so it survived.

Would still love the manual or parts list if anyone has it still !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most strange workin pukka one minute then suddenly guttless power thats why I thought it was mechanical as it seemed as though the blade was tight and not a blocked exhaust, oh well we live and we learn : )

Dave

Sponsored Links
do not put contact details in your posts
Hi,

Can someone please email me the pdf format parts manual as mentioned above. My husbands Stihl Hedge Trimmers (75, I think) gear cog is burred! Sorry for being a girl on this one, but pretty sure you are all talking about the same model as he was going nuts about last night.

If someone could help I would really appreciate it. We don't fancy forking out £700 for a new one, if we can order a part for a nearest dealer.

Thanks you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back