Still Safe To Use Early 1970s Ascot Water Heater??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently inherited a small house from my brother, which I have moved into. He used to work for British gas many years ago.
The kitchen sink has an Ascot gas water heater over it, which my brother serviced over the years with parts that he acquired (!!) from work. I remember he also converted it to natural gas in the late 70s. There is still a small stock of new parts for it.
Is it still safe to go on using this boiler, which will need servicing soon (last service - 18 months ago)? Can gas engineers still service them if I provide the parts?
Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
i would avoid it like the plague, if its and open flued version these were big news in the 80s via the ester ranzten programme, they became illegal to instal around the mid 80s, if its the flueless sink heater still avoid using get rid completely and install a balanced flue version or combi

If it has a flue that goes outside it should not be used.
If it is a flueless single point over sink ,perfectly ok to use but not longer than 5 mins at a time

If its the multipoint type then I would not touch it with a barge pole.

The entire back half of the heater is asbestos and is set into the wall, which I found out to my costly mistake upon removing one out of a bathroom.

Had to get a builder in that day to rebuild the wall :eek:

Sponsored Links
Dave you young pup getting caught out like that with an old 715, think they are going to be my nemisis if ever the asbestosis appears it will be from ripping these out as an apprentince fitted under kitchen cupboard no mask nothing just hammer and bolster. smashed loads out .wheeze cough splutter. :cry:

Thanks for the advice, and Happy New Year to all.

The Ascot is flueless and only feeds the sink, not multipoint. Will only use for washing up, and replace with combi asap.

If it is a flueless single point over sink ,perfectly ok to use but not longer than 5 mins at a time

AND it has the label saying...........................

AND its not more than .... kW input power!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back