Still smell gas after tightness test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gasman has been out today to a gas smell around a soldered joint in the gas pipe but detected no leak either with leak detector spray or tightness test. The smell is still there. I must add the slight smell of gas has been there for 3 or 4 years (whenever I crawled around on the bedroom floor) but we've just started doing the room so the floor is up and I could finally track it down. Has anyone any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Regulations state that there must be "no smell of gas" even if a soundness test detects no leakage. Call Transco, might not even be on your property but still must be dealt with.

not as silly as it sounds are you sure its gas

having said that wouldnt be the first time i'd been to one seeping from next door :eek:

The smell is definitely just round one joint, none of the other individual joints have any smell.

Sponsored Links
Was it transco you had out or just a gas engineer. If you are getting a smell and the instalation does not have any drop on it at all it may be your service that has gone an finding its way through cavity up to your bedroom if you are joined to other properties it may even be coming in from them. Transco should have a gastech which is a highly sensitive bit of kit that will pick up the tiniest of leaks. Sometimes it isn`t even gas at all can be hole in soil stack,timber treatments, timber rotting, dead animals etc etc. had it many times when it instalation passes every test but there is adefinite smell it`s just not gas though

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Had job once where customer said its from that joint on pipe on skirting board as i can smell it sure enough used tester on it got a reading . Renewed joint checked and was still getting readings , turned out it was the service which ran directly below it and was coming up through floor , gas can track a long way from actual source of leak. But if you say its just from one joint and can still smell it have you used bubbles on it.

MOD

please see 10a

Thanks for help so far. It was an engineer not transco who came and he sprayed all the joints with leak detector (is that what you mean by bubbles?). The reason it wasn't checked out before this is that I thought it might just be old floorboards smelling.

Call Transco 0800 111999, it's free and they'll be there within an hour. They might turn your gas off, but at least you'll know if it's a real leak

Guest52 said:
Thanks for help so far. It was an engineer not transco who came and he sprayed all the joints with leak detector (is that what you mean by bubbles?). The reason it wasn't checked out before this is that I thought it might just be old floorboards smelling.

Why did he bubble the joints?...did he have a drop at the tightness test on the meter?

Tiny leaks can smell but not show on a water U guage, though they do on a digital one. Bubbles can need leaving untouched for several minutes.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Have you been eating any exotic dishes, r u very short with your nose too near your botty.
have you changed your socks lately

I once went to a flat where turning off the gas at the meter did not turn off the gas supply!!! Doing a tightness test would never show any leakage.

Two flats had their supplies parallelled with two meters. Had been like that for three years!

Obviously no LSCs ? perhaps there were.

My assistant worked with a firm as training and went to 11 safety checks and saw NO tightness tests being done. Only tool used was a pen to fill in the Certificate.

Tony Glazier

Spraying does not always find the leak.

Correct preoceedure has to bew used when carrying out tightness test. Check the engineer CORGI card. Flip it over and see what he can do. He may not even be CORGI registered and may not know how to carry out the test.

CALL IN TRANSCO before the house mecome a settalite around the earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back