sto render-good or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive seen a lot of new buildings with sto render applied to them.
ive noticed that it comes in buckets
i need 2 external walls of a house i own to be rerendered over existig render which has cracks and looks unsightly.
im just after something that is relatively low maintenace once it is applied and also has good adhesion to existing render.
i know some of these renders also have the ability to repel dirt to a certain degree(is this because they are acyric based)

any other alternatives as ive even noticed some redeveloped houses with a false brick clad system-how does this work and is it a insulation aswell.

any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
STO is a good product - but like everything it's down to the guy using it.

You can mesh over your old render with a base coat, and then apply the finish coat when that is FULLY dry (after at least a day).

First coat, put on with trowel and flattened with 18" spatula (All tools SS to stop marking)

Second coat scraped on tight with trowel and rubbed up with plastic float.(Second coat , like a lot of similar products is a glorified paint ie colour with grit)

It is water based and so dries rather than sets. I've used in in Police Cells, so it must be quite hardy!

Edit - STO products can go onto boards (made from recycled glass), blockwork etc and also onto polystyrene - which is their main system for cladding and rendering externals

At the moment (and I could be out of date here) you can only get it if licensed by STO , so you would have to get hold of some through someone . It's about £70 a bucket. Check the site for colours and coverage .

Before any of that, make sure cracks are not a problem and remove and patch all loose.

sto is good,but as micilin says to get the best guarantees you need to be approved,you can buy the same mats from anybody,just you wont get ten years on the fix,its also expensive,the brick effect can be done to insulated board by either brick slips or two coat cut work but beware even when done well it doesn't look quite right,just looks like false brick work to tell the truth all a bit to neat if you get my drift.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back