Stone dressing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've dismantled a stone staircase (down to a cellar) and want to rebuild it. But first I'm cutting the stone and grinding the surfaces flat to remove a century plus of wear.

The question is, what do I use for the final finish to remove the inevitable marks left by the wheel action?

I presume there must be some sort of flat carborundum medium to remove the disc marks and scratches.

Where would I get such a thing?

Sponsored Links
how do you want it dressed of flat?
we dress stone with a small bolster scutch hammer wire brush on drill hanner small snoe iv seen other brickys ect throw them in a empty mixer and let it run

Hi Skimmers.
I want it dead flat & smooth, as would've been originally.
Perhaps 'dressing' is not the correct term?

(I'd need a bloody big mixer to get these steps in)

did you use a continuous diamond disc and water when you cut them?
try the wire brush on a grill or a needle gun?
we dress stone but its all done different ways by different guys all over the uk
you call it one thing and the next guy calls it something else.
we dressed a load of York stone slabs cut and dressed into a half arch set of steps with a club hammer and 1" bolster

Sponsored Links
Used the wheels I've pictured to cut and flatten.
Used them dry. Am I best using water?

To be fair, it's not a bad job, they're pretty flat.

I just need to get them really smooth like originally. If I use sandpaper it's obviously not going to have much effect on the stone.
Is there an obvious alternative to get the steps smooth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back