1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Stop cock in the street.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by diyphildiy, 2 Sep 2009.

1. diyphildiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Gents,

There's a problem with the stop cock in the street which means it is impossible to use it to stop the water supply coming into my house. I've got a problem with the pipework between the external and internal stop cocks, so need to cut the water off in the street.

Am I correct to think that my local water provider(Porstmouth Water) is responsible for the stop cock in the street? I already know that everything on 'my side' of the stop cock is my responsibility, but am unsure about the tap itself.

The bloody thing looks like its come out of the arc, so all the thread pitches are different to anything I can get in a plumbers merchants.

Cheers for any advice,
    Phil

2. tamz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Water authority are responsible for the valve on the street. It comes directly off the main.
    Ring them up to get it fixed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Whitespirit66

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try ringing your water co. They should change it for you. They will change it round these parts (Bristol), if its knackered.

Give them some bull about the pipe under your garden leaking, and wasting lots of water. Usually gets a much quicker response. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Goldberg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How do you know this, if the stop cock is the one directly connected to the water company's supply?

5. diyphildiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys, i'll call em. I guessed it was probably something the water authority would take ownership of.

Goldberg:

It came apart in my hand when I tried to turn it off! I fudged it back together, but it needs sorting properly, hence my query...I could see it getting expensive if the pavement needd digging up etc...

Phil

6. nicknox

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Give em a call, they'll tell you which way or another. Portsmouth Water are normally very good.