Stop cock won't turn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have just tried to turn my stop cock under the stairs to cut off the water to the house,but it won't turn, is there any way to free it up? I am a bit concerned about trying too hard just in case I break something, will WD 40 do any good?

If not I guess I will need to get a LONG stop cock key and turn off from the street, guess I can get one from Wickes or somewhere, but just don't want the Greif.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The search facility on this forum is poor - only searches on one word - but worth a try because we've answered a few.

Always hold the body of the valve still with a big pair of grips.

1) Be careful if it's lead
2) Be careful if it's lead

3) Try undoing the gland nut (the one round the shaft) half a turn or so
4) Try heating it up. Heat gun, or carefully with a blowlamp. Up to say about 80 (very hot radiator temp), where the gland nut screws in.

another little tip

try tightening slightly first to try and break the bond

Good tip Big_All :cool: :cool: :cool:

Avoid heat if possible as can make the brass brittle.

Slacken the stuffing box nut, and turn the handle clockwise first, then work it back and forward untill loose ;)

Sponsored Links
80º won't make it brittle. Wiggle it certainly! The stuffing box IS the gland seal, by another name. Some folk squirt WD40 or Plusgas in. It depends what's in there whether that does any good or not, but wouldn't do any harm.

Thanks :D Will give it ago some time (when I get the time!!) and let you know how I get on

Steve

If you live in an older type house, and the water main is lead, as advised, do hold the body of the stopcock, very firmly before trying to move the spindle. If the feed continues, from the stopcock, into say, 15mm copper, when you do manage to get the stopcock to turn off, it's worthwhile to fit a modern stopcock further along the pipe. In this way, you will have a good, useable stopcock and the old unit can be left in the open position.

Thanks You-It worked :D :D It is copper pipe both sides of the Stop cock, held the stop cock with grips,loosened the nut slightly, then the tap turned..yippee..I will try to remember to turn it once a month.Someone once said to me ..open the stop cock fully, then close half a turn-this is supposed to stop the stop cock getting so you can't turn it, so have done that and will see how it goes.

Thanks again for the help, a lot better than Turning water off outside and replacing..

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back