Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice required please

I need to change the main stopcock in the house as it has totally seized, i used it around 15 months ago and struggled to use it then so i do really need to change it.

The pipe comming into it is 22mm not sure if its copper and other end is 15mm to copper pipe it also has two entrys at both left and right side, the left side is capped off and the right is to drain the system

My question, im looking at just changing the main middle part where the handle is as this would be far easier

Do they come out easy and secondly are they a bog standard size for replacement

Cheers in advance

d92d8dfb.jpg

26f3b71a.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've not come across one that comes off easily, even a brand spanking new stopcock can be very tight to undo.

Personally i would butcher the cupboard slightly more and do a proper replacement.

I've not come across one that comes off easily, even a brand spanking new stopcock can be very tight to undo.

Personally i would butcher the cupboard slightly more and do a proper replacement.

Thanks bathstyle

I have butchered it so i have got good access to it (The photo's took earlier) i just thought maybe the centre would easily come out

Replacing the whole stopcock id just need a 22mm to 15mm with no other outlets but i think the new stopcock would be lightly smaller in length as this one seems fairly long, so id have to extend the 15mm pipe to make fit unless you know any other way

Also the pipe comming in which looks like 22m is black pipe im sure, any idea regarding connections or can i just use normal 22mm compression fittings

Kev

spay it with wd and use two pairs of grips one spindle one on main body
you may need to tighten gland nut afterwards

Sponsored Links
I'd give a section of the black 22mm pipe a careful clean to confirm what it's made of. Could be dirty copper, could be 3/4" alkathene (plastic pipe used before blue mdpe came in), once in a while you come across 3/4" copper tube just to be annoying.

Another way to do this might be to leave that stop cock in place and simply fit a second stop cock above it in the 15mm copper.

Is the stop tap seized open?

If it is, enlarge the hole in the back of the cabinet, and fit a new 15mm stop tap on the pipe just above the old one. Leave the old one in situ. This presumes that the supply can be turned off in the street.

I'd give a section of the black 22mm pipe a careful clean to confirm what it's made of. Could be dirty copper, could be 3/4" alkathene (plastic pipe used before blue mdpe came in), once in a while you come across 3/4" copper tube just to be annoying.

Another way to do this might be to leave that stop cock in place and simply fit a second stop cock above it in the 15mm copper.

I'll check tonight but I think I'll go with leaving the old one in and adding a second one on the 15mm copper pipe, yes it's stuck fully open, what about just adding an online 15mm valve or is stopcock the far better option as I could do either

Kev

Is the stop tap seized open?

If it is, enlarge the hole in the back of the cabinet, and fit a new 15mm stop tap on the pipe just above the old one. Leave the old one in situ. This presumes that the supply can be turned off in the street.

Yes this is what I'm going to do, the stopcock outside worked ok about 5 year ago when I last used it so hopefully it still will

Kev

what about just adding an online 15mm valve or is stopcock the far better option as I could do either
A service valve wouldn't be my first choice unless space is incredibly tight though it would do the job. Both restrict the incoming water flow, but a stop cock allows you to tweak the flow rate further without causing loads of noise in the pipes. Oh and in an emergency you don't have to scrabble round for a screwdriver.

The other alternative if your mains flow isn't great is a full bore lever valve (or butterfly valve - same valve different handle).

A text book answer might also mention that another reason to prefer a stop cock is you can't turn the water on and off too quickly. This is meant to cause a shock wave through the pipework with the potential for catastrophe and/or drowning, but I wouldn't get hung up over this just turn the mains on slowly.

When you cut the 15 mm pipe, I hope you have a bit of movement in one or both of the pipes, if not you might find it very difficult to get the stopcock in.

When you cut the 15 mm pipe, I hope you have a bit of movement in one or both of the pipes, if not you might find it very difficult to get the stopcock in.

Yes I know but I don't know if I have movement until the pipe is cut, that's one on my concerns, once it's cut there's no going back

Kev

Thanks Hufty it's defo gonna be a stopcock, can you get the 22mm to 15mm or do you think I should leave that one in and just add a second 15mm one

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back