Stopping polycarbonate roof panels from sliding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for any help...

We've got a lean-to utility room roof which is made up of three polycarbonate panels.
The only thing that seems to have been used to stop any movement in the panels is silicone sealant, which is now peeling away and doing nothing.

Consequently our panels keep sliding down and are only stopped from sliding further by the guttering.
I guess there's supposed to be end stops, but we don't have any.

(I've taken off the decorative end strip for the photos)

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1020658.JPG
    P1020658.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 726
  • P1020657.JPG
    P1020657.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 610
  • P1020656.JPG
    P1020656.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 673
  • P1020655.JPG
    P1020655.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 958
  • P1020654.JPG
    P1020654.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 643
  • P1020653.JPG
    P1020653.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 733
Sponsored Links
I would think that the capping strip between sections and at the sides, should grip the sheets. Your one seems to have a bit of the "system" missing in that it has a groove where a sealing strip could be slid in (to cover the screw heads?). A point is that for the "grip" to work the edge of the sheets must have the vertical section to grip on. If the sheet is cut so you have 1/2 " of floppy plastic edges, no way can you grip it.
Frank

On mine, the capping strip holds it down but allows it to expand and contract. There is a retaining screw, which has a plastic button so it doesn't crack the polycarb, and a mushroom cap to keep water out, horizontally every 600mm or so, so stop it sliding or crawling down. You must not have more than one screw vertically, or the sheet will crack when it contracts. Mine is on timber rafters, a metal frame may have a different method.

A manufacturer or retailer of the roofing should have the necessary parts, and instructions, on their website.

I think mine was branded Corolux or something, but look for a retailer in your town. Get stainless screws even if you have to buy them separately.

You also seem to be lacking the end filler strip that keeps insects and dirt out of the channels. The sheets are delivered with porous tape top and bottom, but unless you building happens to be the exact size of the sheets, you will cut at least one end off. I think you can buy the tape.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help.
I've got the fixing buttons, aluminium tape for the top and breather tape for the bottom so I'm going to give this a go this afternoon.

I get the impression it was thrown together rather than being installed properly, so it's a miracle it has lasted this long.

I stopped my mates that kept sliding out by using a bit of polystyrene that was left over from some packaging. Once the panels were put back in place I cut a piece of polystyrene to size and wedged it between the panel and the gutter so far its been good for 4 yrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back