Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to see a friend and noticed that her electric storage heaters were wired straight into a lighting switch on the wall with a cut out at the bottom for the wire to exit into the heater.

Should these be in a fused switch or are they ok as they are?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
go on then one more :LOL:

is it a lightswitch or a 20a dp switch?

if a dp switch these will be ok.is there a contactor arrangement somewhere if it is a lightswitch?

sometimes you have to use a dp switch instead od a spur due to the size and power of the heater.

when you say cut out at the bottom,im assuming you mean a flex outlet exiting the bottom of the switch?

when you say cut out at the bottom,im assuming you mean a flex outlet exiting the bottom of the switch?

Yes.

They look like ordinary light switches to me although I haven't unscrewed them to have a look.

They are not fused switches. I take it they are ok as long as they are DP switches?

How will I tell if they are DP's? :oops:

Yeah, sounds like a 20A DP switch with flex outlet (the same as might be used for a water heater) on its own correctly fused radial

Should *not* change it for an fcu because the heater could be in excess of 3kw, and even if it isn't, good practice is to not use fcus where there is a sustained high load

Sponsored Links
blimey you were lucky,just about to shut down!

dp switches,you will have four terminals live and neutral in and live and neutral out on the flex.will be scribed on the back somewhere whether its 20amp or otherwise.

if it is 20amp then no work needed as this is an acceptable installation.i get your point though some people including sparks will do anything it seems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back