Storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
Have a problem with a couple of electric storage heaters not working( not in my house so no more details at present)

Do I have to wait until the night time power kicks in to test the circuit or can it be turned on manually?
Hope this does not sound too silly a question.
I am a plumber by trade.
Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
do you have access to a continuity tester?

Possibly I was thinking of that but a present only have a current tester.
Pete

If you just want to see if the heaters work:
you will probably find they have a flex connected to a wall outlet (no plug and socket) on an individual circuit.

If you make sure the circuit is isolated (so it cannot come on unexpectly e.g. from the timer) then you can disconnect the flex from its outlet and put an ordinary 13Amp fused plug on it (it will probably take about 13A, they are usually on a 15A circuit).

Then you can plug it into a convenient socket and it should start to draw current as it starts to heat up the bricks inside.

If you use an extension cord, make it a short and thick one, not coiled up, as the current drain is high.

Sponsored Links
Also have a look at your meter once you have connected it up as it should be spinning round nice and quick or the light will flash quicker.

Fluffster said:
Possibly I was thinking of that but a present only have a current tester.
Pete

Your current tester may have a continuity feature, is there an ohms (omega) symbol on the selector switch.

Common problem with storage heaters is the thermal link melting or thermal cut out tripping

crystal ball said:
Common problem with storage heaters is the thermal link melting or thermal cut out tripping

Or the element(s) failing, or the fuse blowing in the fuse box.

RF Lighting said:
crystal ball said:

Or the element(s) failing, or the fuse blowing in the fuse box.

Or even, thermostat failure, 20amp dp failure, timeswitch failure, broken connection, or if fed by contactor - contactor failure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back