Storage on rafters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house have an attic conversion. In the eaves of the front room attic bedroom there is some insulation boards (kingspan) on top of the rafters (to beef up the crappy old insulation).

I would like to use this space to store useless crap...I mean seldom used items (eg. christmas decorations) but I am a bit concerned about the weight on the rafters. Don't plan to put anything heavy up there, but I guess lots of light things can add up.

Should it be okay, or do I need to add some extra support?

Sponsored Links
I am a bit concerned about the weight on the rafters

You probably mean joists. They should be fine. Did you actually mean concern about the weight on the kingspan boards?

Light boxes will be fine. Heavy boxes e.g. books probably still OK. You can't stand on Kingspan, though, without something to spread your weight.
If you have any odd bits of hardboard, or if you find some in a skip, put that down. It will mean you don't have to worry about accidentally damaging it.

Sponsored Links
Umm... yes I probably did!

There are some bits of hardboard kicking around in the garage so I will use those, and try to spread anything heavy out.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back