Straight cracks in ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have seen a few posts about similar online but was hoping hat somwone can settle my nerves as some places say, nothing to worry about. But other places suggest structual issues..

I have just bought a house 6 months ago and have recently taken off ceiling paper and repainted. Now parralel lines have appeared in a 2nd floor bed room ceiling. It basically looks like the plasterboard is showing. Im hoping not structural. But is this anything to worry about? Other than it looking a little ugly? As its above the bed, its a little worry thay the plaster may fall off!

Would humidity cause an issue like this? As there is a big fish tank in the room there is sometimes condensation issues, should i move this?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Attachments

• 20161205_074325.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 297
Sponsored Links
I'd fill it with some patching or decorators filler, sand back and repaint. It would need to be a bit bigger to start worrying about.
did you use a steamer to remove the paper? If you leave them on too long you can blow the plaster.

Yeah we used a steamer. Which looking back was a bad idea. Thanks for the advise on how to fill it! So now I can sleep a bit more comfortable with it above my head :) I was worried that it was going to all come down on me

Sponsored Links
If the cracks are very fine (you picture doesnt cover size or scale) run a stanley knife along the crack.

By widening it more at the surface theres more room for filler and more chance the filler will hold and prevent the crack reappearing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back