Strange corrosion on aluminium doors and windows

Reaction score
Country
Spain
We have a very old house in Spain (100yrs+) - the wall seem to be made of a type of mud brick and jointed with what I presume is a lime based mortar.

About 15 years ago some aluminium patio doors were fitted but after 5 years there was evidence of a strange white putty like material coming from the frame where it abutted the wall. After a few more years the frame had completely corroded away in those areas i.e. the aluminium frame was eaten away. We consulted the builder and the frame manufacture but neither could offer an explanation for the corrosion.

A new frame was fitted but we took care to put a layer of plastic between the wall and the frame and so far there has been no repeat of the problem on that frame. However in another part of the house, a much newer aluminium frame has started to exhibit the same problem i e it is leeching a white putty like substance which appear to be attacking the frame. Thinking it could be due to the alkaline lime mortar I have treated the area with a mild acid (i.e. lemon juice) and that seems to have slowed although not cured the issue.

Is there a reliable treatment for this issue and does anyone have a definite diagnosis as to what it is being caused by? I really don’t want to have to spend thousands replacing frames yet again!!!

Sponsored Links
This could be the problem - especially as the house has no damp course and so the walls are permanantly subject to pulling some moisture from the ground. Will have to think how we deal with it though - maybe injecting some "dryzone" into the walls around the frame would help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back