Strange drain in front garden / drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got this little drain in our front drive. It's blocked and just filling up with water when it rains. Been trying to clear it with drain rods but seem to have hit a hard surface at the bottom. The hole is vertical and appears to be about 1m deep.

Any ideas if this is normal? Seems like a poor design because mud and leaves can just wash down and block it up. Can't see a bend in it.

Thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks like someones DIY attempt at self drainage I think......maybe a puddle used to form there? It may allow water to soak away to a degree, but more often than not it'll just block up.
John :)

rjm2k : There definitely wasn't a garage door there at any point.

Burnerman : Yes it seems that way. The drive slopes down towards my house, so quite a bit of water flows down that way at times.

I'm planning to dig up most of the concrete and put in a lawn so there should be less runoff in future. Wanted to get this cleared in the meantime though.

Sponsored Links
Can you feel the drain pipe and tell what its made from?
Could it be a sleeve for pushing a leg of something into by a former owner?? ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back