Strange hole in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I keep getting a 15 inch deep hole appearing in my garden
(about 2inches in diameter- it goes straight down)). I have filled it in twice with light soil but affter a few weeks it reappears. Its about 8 feet from my outside kitchen wall. I fear it may be a partially collapsed drain but wouldnt it be deeper than 15 inches?

replies appreciated.

Sponsored Links
usually a water leak

get a spade in there and dig it out until you get down to what the problem is.

if you poke a stick down there you might find it comes out wet, with either sewage or fresh water.

However a 2-inch round hole can be rats. Have you got a rat-table nearby with rat-food on it (sometimes a small amount of this rat-food is taken off these tables by birds)

After poking stick down the hole it smells pretty bad.

I dont think its rats but people next door do have a habit of putting lots of food out for birds on low table

Sponsored Links
point taken!

however bottom few inches of stick was wet and smelly.

Have to get the spade out.

Thanks for the replies.

The problem is a broken drain that is the run off for my neighbours house who is in the process of selling it( and has moved abroad) his Son said that he( his father ) is going to sort it out.

My insurance company say that it is my neighbours problem and they are not interested.

I think the seller may be waiting for sale to go thru so it is not his problem. Have spoken to the estate agent but they are not interested either.

Any ideas?

Are you sure the breakage is on his property? If you are, make sure you tell each viewer that comes, so eventually the seller will get the message!

No, the breakage is on my property but is his waste pipem, mine joins on down-flow further down. The property is in the process of being sold although contracts have not been exchanged yet ( i believe).

it is a shared sewer, and the broken part is on your property.

How do you calculate that the broken part belongs to your neighbour?

I didnt say that it is not my problem, my buildings/contents insurer did.
I am also covered for "my" drains by homeserve who have also said that
it is my neighbours responsibilty. I am not an expert here.

All I am saying is that if (when) it blocks up it will not stop my waste water from running off it will block HIS because my waste water pipe joins the main waste pipe further down. My insurers said that they will only repair it when crap starts flooding onto my garden and they will then claim it off the house owners own insurance.[/u]

Have spoken to neighbour he says that we should go halves on repair but council have agreed that it is his issue to repair.

mmmm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back