Strange issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The wife has reported to me a few times that when the boiler is on to heat up some hot water in the tank 2 of the upstairs radiators get warm?

The heating has been off for the last 4-5 months so not sure whats going on?

Could the 3 way diverter be open a little?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Not strange, very common!
Either the valve you suggest, or the plumbing's not quite right and you have to Reversed Circulation.
Feel to see if the normal or "other" end of the rad gets hot first.

Thermostatic rad valves are the easiest fix if it's RC.

Thanks for the replies, I guess nothing serious will happen if I leave it as is?

Sponsored Links
No it won't and as we approach winter you will notice little or no difference,and as the valve will be operating though its range it may well not be a problem.Reverse circulation is unlikely unless some alteration has been made to your system pipework which you haven't mentioned

Sometimes people set up the system so that a radiator in the bathroom is on the HW circuit. Stoopid idea if you ask me. Ours was this way and the rad only worked when you were finishing your bath.

Thanks again for the replies.

It is the bathroom radiator and the back bedroom one which is next to the bathroom. No others get hot.

I'm not sure what you mean about "and are you sure they do not normally heat up?"

They heat up when the heating is on fine as do all the radiators.

There is actually a very practical reason why bathroom radiators are connected in the hot water circuit. When HW only is on, the heated water circulates from the boiler to the HW tank and back to the boiler. Note that this in NOT the hot water that comes out of your taps but is hot water that is passed through pipes in your HW tank which then radiate heat into the cooler water contained in the tank (THIS is the water that comes out of your hot taps). The, now cooler, water in the heating pipes then returns to the boiler to be re-heated and recirculated. When the water in the tank reaches a set temperature, controlled by the thermostat, the boiler is automatically switched off, along with the pump that drives this circulation. In a typical HW system all the pipework is well insulated, so when the HW is satisfied, you end up with hot water in the heating pipes throughout the circuit, including in the hottest part which is inside the boiler. If the HW tank is at or near required temperature, then the water in the heating circuit will not have been cooled down significantly because the 'water jacket' will be at or near the same temperature. This can cause considerable problems, as the boiler then potentially becomes a superheated pressure vessel. The idea of passing the water through the radiators in the return pipework on this circuit is that you do not then get heated water re-entering the boiler because he radiators help ensure the returning water is cooler. There is another practical use of this type of circuit - you get warm radiators in the bathroom during the summer at times when you are likely to be taking a bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back