Strange smell in the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have no idea whether this is heating related or not but I'll start here.

We have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler in the front room. Last weekend the pilot light went out so I relit it. It went out again later that day so I relit it again and it's been fine since then.

There is now a stagnant smell downstairs, like stale water or something gone off.

I've googled this and a lot of the posts seem to point towards central heating problems......and seeing as we had the issue with the pilot light, I'm putting 2+2 together and getting x!

Any suggestions? Anything I can check or get checked? Can boilers produce a stagnant smell?

We do have a carbon monoxide detector in the room but I thought those fumes had no smell?

(I've checked all around the house, it's nothing obvious like the cat doing his business where he shouldn't!)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Boiler could be sooted up look under your boiler with it on is it burning all yellow and floppy if so turn it off and get someone out it is dangerous.
If not, for peace of mind call the gas emergency provider for your area out they will check you for free for gas leaks to premises 0800 111 999

Given the smell you have described, it is probably not an electrical problem but do have a look at all of your sockets switched and consumer unit.

Thanks both, I'll wait until later for the heating to kick in and then perform a gymnastic maneuvour (sp?) to crane my neck under the fire and see what colour the flame is.

I've checked all sockets and they seem ok.

Sponsored Links
Check your light fittings as well, if you have got high wattage light bulbs the bulb holders get hot and give off an unusual smell

something died under your floors?
or wet/dry rot musty smell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back