Strengthening the loft floor with extra ceiling binders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

In my semi property. I'm currently in the process of putting loft boards down the problem is I want to make the current ceiling joists 2by3 stronger by putting 2by3 perpendicular to the existing ceiling joists and resting the ends onto the wall plates. A bit like the existing ceiling binder 2by3 I already have in place which also rests on the wall plates(internal brickwall) at the eaves. Just not sure whether I need to tie the new 2by3's to the wall plates or just let them rest on the top of the wallplate. I'll be screwing the 2by3s at each point it crosses a ceiling beam.

I'm only doing this for storage as there is not enough headroom for anything else and want to put loftboards down so that I can walk safely. The roof is a traditional cut roof ie no horizontal beams going across other than the huge purlins which the rafters are resting on. It's an old roof and hasn't been felted which is a shame. Any ideas?

dab

Sponsored Links
But, what can be done about the debris falling from the slates onto the stored items, loft floor.
Dab

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back