Stripped door frames back to bare wood, how do I prepare it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have recently stripped varnish and gloss off of my door frames and it is back to bare wood. I have sanded it down with a fine sandpaper.

What do I do now? I have a Crown Satin topcoat, and a Crown undercoat. Do I still need to prime the wood?
If so, would an MDF primer be OK for this task as I still have some left over?
If not, does it matter if the primer I might need is a different brand? Would any regular wood primer do?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I too would like to know this one, usually I undercoat all surfaces that are being glossed with white matt emulsion, this saves you having to put a key on it for a new coat of glass and also makes the gloss sit on a strong white colour

Probably not what the pros do but it works for me

Firstly you will need to apply a knotting solution, the application of a primer is both designed and formulated to raise the grain of the timber and provide the ideal base for future coats.

This is of the utmost importance on exteriors, yet indoors a thinned undercoat will suffice. The diference between a waterbased primer undercoat and a specific oil based primer is the former can be used as both a primer and undercoat, and the latter only as a primer. It therefore is of the utmost importance that a specific primer should never be used as an undercoat.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the replies so far.

So could I just get an own brand B&Q waterbased primer and use that? Something like this perhaps?

B&Q Quick Dry All Purpose Primer And Undercoat White

Then

undercoat >> topcoat?

Also, this is a silly question, but will the satin topcoat properly adhere if the bare wood has been painted already with primers and undercoats? It won't scrape off or anything if the knotting solution/primer is oil based?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back