Stripping paint and left with residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started stripping an old wooden door today using a heat gun and scraper. Now the paint is coming off ok but I am being left with a green residue on the wood that is proving very difficult to remove.

If I heat it up it just goes very gooey and smudges if I try to scrape it off.

Does anyone know what this stuff is and how best to remove it, would something like Nitromors or similiar be of amny use?

Provided a couple of pics so you can see what I mean.
Thanks in advance

View media item 22638 View media item 22639 View media item 22640

Sponsored Links
Nitomors will be your best bet i feel, and lots of wire wool. Depends how good you want it.
Is it to be stained ?

Staining it was my original plan.

It's only for my shed so doesn't have to be perfect by any means but the bright orange was, well bright orange!!!!

I have started stripping an old wooden door today using a heat gun and scraper. .

Does anyone know what this stuff is and how best to remove it, would something like Nitromors or similiar be of any use?

Provided a couple of pics so you can see what I mean.
Thanks in advance

]
That`s old paint - probably lead based :eek: Enjoy the fumes , they haven`t killed me yet ;) Which is worse ; Lead paint fumes or Nitromors fumes :?:

Sponsored Links
it might be an old linseed oil paint.

rather than Nitromors (you have to be very careful cleaning it off) I'd suggest the heat gun and scraper (wear a mask, especially if you are young, pregnant, or have a brain or nervous system). When it is cool, the remaing bits of paint will probably be very hard, and you can sand them off. Again, use a mask. Lead dust, inhaled, is very damaging. I know an early-retired builder who has brain damage from it and turned into a shell of a man in less than a year :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back