Stripping slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I'm about to undertake stripping half an old garage slate roof before it's demolished and looking for some tips from the pros.

I was going to work off my roof ladders as a builder who is on site has a dodgy manitoo with an even more dodgy work basket that's falling to pieces that I will definitely not be going up in.

I've looked up roofing brackets on line so I can put a scaff board on then to have a safer footing and somewhere to stack the slates but come up short except these from amazon which will take a while to deliver.

I've seen roofers in the past with wooden ones with boards on at intervals up the roof.

Question is are these homemade or are these called another name that I can't find online?

Next question - the slates are to be reused elsewhere and have seen roofers just using a claw hammer and peeling slates off.. is this the best way or should I use a ripper?

Attachments

• IMG_1191.PNG
    IMG_1191.PNG
    337.4 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply.

Just manage to organise some after I posted that will get us to the eaves.

Plan now is to take them off and slide down to man on scaffold, then stack them on pallets.

Any idea about the brackets?

its a garage, why would you need jacks?
use a ripper to strip out a line a few courses up. this will expose fixings of the slates below. then strip down. repeat the process

Sponsored Links
Delayed response.

Thanks for the replies again.

I'm case anyone else is interested I just used scaffold up to the eaves, roof ladders and a man on the scaffold catching slates.
Ridge tiles off first then claw hammer and ripper to take them
off neatly.

Just to reply to datarebel - The garage and roof is pretty big, (formerly an old working car garage and workshop) it's being semi demolished to make way for a new house being built on the land. I was unsure about the jacks but from what I gather is that they're more for use when slating rather than stripping.

I've got the job now of slating the new "shed" with the slates I've stripped off.

More questions to follow..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back