Structural Beam-advice pls!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently having an extension built 8m in length and 3m wide. Iv asked the SE to remove the wall between extension and the old house, and a beam for the new extension back wall where im installing bifold doors. He has advised a 305x305x97kg uc on 550mm piers of exsisting wall.He then advised the same UC in the extension back wall where i am having approx 7m of bifolds.

I am just concerned on two things:

1. The orignal house is wall is 250mm inc cavity, why would he suggest a 305UC97 and not a 254uc? It is a standard two storey house.
2.why he is suggesting the same beam for the new extesnsion back wall where the liad is only of a 8mx3mx tiled toof? I am however having bifolds across this wall and he mentioned something about deflection and causing problems with the bufold doors in the future.

I was thinking of getting another SE to calculate and compare but thought i would ask for some advise before i do, the 305UC97 is nearly 750kg in total so want to be sure its correct before i commit to a crane!

Any help is appreciated.
Ap

Sponsored Links
A 305 UC is far too big - a 254 will do fine on that span, both for stress and deflection (assuming two-storey house with no unusual loading).

Same old story; some SEs don't take the time to do proper loading calcs so take the easy way out, pick a big figure off the top of their heads, and the client foots the bill for an over-weight beam.

Thanks tony!

I kinda guessed it was overkill!

There are no unusual loads, its just a standard property. I think il try an find another SE!

Ther first SE i used for some other beams was also hellbent on putting the most heaviest beams everywhere bolted together and all sorts, which we actually installed! However i decided i wont use him and try a new SE for this new job!

Are there any SE's on this forum who can assist?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back