Structural Chimney issue (breast removal) or rendering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New here but hoping for some advice/opinions.

Just been for a second viewing of a house and have a concern about the chimney. Hoping someone more knowledgeable could give an opinion from this photo? https://postimg.org/image/g8xn8xp3r/

So a chimney breast was removed at some point and there's cracks on the external wall. Should we presume that it's unstable? Here's a photo from inside the upstairs room if that helps https://s31.postimg.org/7w1lp4dvv/image.jpg the agent said its just the rendering but I'm not convinced!

Also, would any body be able to give any guidance of the cost implication of either outcome? I believe if it is just the rendering that can be problematic and should be resolved too?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
The detail at the base of the bed room chimney remnants would have to be opened up to show if gallows brackets have been used to support the leftover chimney going up to the stack.
In fact, does that remnant in the loft bedroom actually go up all the way through the ceiling? ie. is it continuous with the stack?
A photo looking up the roof would show if the stack is actually leaning out or in?

A photo of that whole elevation would help.
The outside corners of the window reveal & the stack show some kind of irregularity.
No stack flashing can be seen.
Rendered stacks usually hide degraded brickwork - the stack appears to have been partially lowered.
There are numerous cracks in the render.
The neighbour's side appears to have a non-brick masonry elevation.

The render could be covering up some flaws in the masonry - its often applied for that reason.

There are too many unknown variables for me to give est. prices. Look in the Plastering & rendering forum on here.
And google & utube for c/breast prices - but they are all wild.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back