Structural Engineer AWOL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm told by my builder / building consultant that Structual Engineer calcs. have been completed on a replacement oak-for-steel beam (internal) in our domestic property. A Structural Engineer never actually visited the house though. Is this normal? Also, the person he claimed was the "architect" isn't actually an architect - as I checked with the Architect Registration Board. Fishy?

Sponsored Links
An SE doesn't necessarily have to visit the property if there are adequate drawings giving all the relevant information.

Many people who draw plans are referred to as 'architect', though they may not be architects at all. Not necessarily a bad thing because there are many technicians who are a great deal more competent and knowledgeable than many registered architects.

I am an architectural technician, despite me making it clear every time, you would be surprised at the amount of people who refer to or introduce me as 'the architect'! So that in itself is not necessarily a big deal. Unless the 'architect' in question claims to actually be an architect in order to procure work, which is illegal and improper.

I would also not necessarily be concerned about an SE who does not visit site, in fact the SE I use on a regular basis does not visit site either if I can help it, provided I provide him with the necessary information he is satisfied with that.

Undoubtedly there are situations whereby an SE should visit the site and some SE's will do so as a matter of course (you can guess they never get my business).

So really these issues you have brought to our attention do not have a black and white answer and you must provide more information if you require a more definitive answer.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back