Structural walls in bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In preperation for doing a self build loft conversion I need to identify the supporting walls.

I have mapped out how the ceiling joists run and where they end. I am right in thinking that any wall with a ceiling joist end resting on it must be structural?
Green lines are ceiling joists.
Red walls are the ones I presume are structural.
Blue wall I presume are not structural.

This is a Bungalow ground floor plan with ceiling joists.

Sponsored Links
Your assumptions so far seem reasonable. You also need to consider how the roof structure is supported by those walls before you take up your hammer.

Only in as much as they were designed to bear the weight of ceiling joists and the plaster attached to them. You have to also consider how the walls are supported, are they on the floor slab or are they off their own foundations. Being a bungalow it is likely the walls are built off the floor slab and therefore may not take the additional loading of the new floor and stud walls forming the new space.

You may have to plan for beams to carry the loads across from outside wall to outside wall. Try to get onsite advice before you start, as Building control should be involved get them out and pick their brains.

Sponsored Links
Also worth checking positions of brick piles supporting roof purlins, in mine the previous owners had the lounge door moved and one of the supporting pillars inside the loft supporting a purlin was sat directly above the new door which wasnt installed with a lintel above it ! It now has a concrete lintel fitted i should add !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back