Stubborn beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Can someone offer any advice about removal of REALLY stubborn beads. I've been asked to quote for a total reglaze (21 units) where the frames are good but most of the s/units have broken down, so an upgrade to energiKare K is needed. I always go and pop a unit out and check the fitting method (shuffled, corner brackets etc)as well as size etc, but i'm really struggling to release any bead on this one. I've removed the wedge gasket, moved the unit forward and the beads are loose(ish) but will not release at all. Essentially, its ext. beaded with all 4 corners mitred and about 18 to 20 years old. I have come across this problem before,not with wedge gasket,but with int. gasket co-extruded and where the back leg of the bead engages with a final "tap" of the bead next to the sealed unit - I think this is the same (al-la the old sheerframe stuff)but these wont budge at all. I've had two decent scrapers at the mid-point and give it some oomph but its just deforming the interlocking outer leg of the bead. My worry is that if the bead gets ruined i'll be up there without a paddle!! A mate of mine once told me there was a special release tool for this type of issue, but ive never seen one. Finally, as a professional fitter I feel a bit of a k**b not knowing how to outsmart this but in the early days I think many companies had there own, shall I say, quirky ways and this one has got me foxed! Any help much appreciated as this lovely lady customer is not exactly loaded and i'd hate for her to have to go to the local sharks who charge £130m/sq fitted (clear float) Kev@ K.L.Plastics

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have described either a very old sheerframe OR a synseal profile, i've come across this a few times myself.

Does the bead shuffle in and out now that the wedge is out?

Does it feel loose when you tap it, but will just not budge?

Does the front edge of the profile look like its going to break out if you try and force the bead out of its front groove?

If yes then its a very old profile, the bead locates in its usual groove at the front and then you knock the back down, similar to this bead....

http://www.windowsplussupercentre.com/images/universal_edge_bar.jpg

....yes its a conny roof bead but it has the 2 little tongues that lock down over some teeth, but in your case the beads will be female and the window is male.

You'll need to bash your sharp scraper right through the bead where you try to prize it up, push the scraper right to the back and the lever down, this will lever the back of the bead up to un lock it.

Thanks Crank - your input is most welcome but I dont think the beads are of a female persuasion - I can get (marginally) behind it from the front with the strong scraper but am scared sh**less of wrecking the beads. Youre right with the age thing, all the vert. mullions are mech. jointed and the wedge gasket has no identifier (colour) on it to denote thickness. I think i'll have to do a "B.A.Baracas" and make a tool to release the back leg of the bead - I have enough clearance between glass and bead gasket to get something in - i'm thinking a pivot of some kind with teeth or barbs. Once I get the first one out and see wtf is going on the rest should be plain sailing (famous last words with appx 21 x 4 = 84 beads :confused: ) Cheers buddy

Another go at explaining it better lol! :D

In my link the picture shows two sections of pvc pointing down, these go down into an ali section (clearly a roof beam) hence they are male, now imagine them as female and going around the outside of the ali........do you get me?

Its these two tongues you have to pull apart in order for them to release, i found if you push your scraper right through under the front edge of the bead till it touches the first tongue then lever down and you'll release the back edge of the bead, makes no difference if you damage the front edge of the bead as when its clipped back in you won't see it, IF you do dent the exposed face of the bead just apply some light heat with a paint stripping heat gun and watch the dents pop out

Sponsored Links
Ah.I see what you mean now :oops: i'll give that a go before I get the welding torch out then! Let you know how I get on. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back