Stud wall and new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've searched and cant find the answers so..

Im putting down a new floor over half a concrete garage floor and building a stud wall to split the garage in two. My question is,

should I

(A) build the floor first and have the stud wall footing plate on top of the floor
(B) build the stud wall frame first and then the floor up to the side of the wall.

The first way will make it easier to build the door jam with regards to levels etc.

Also, the top plate for the stud wall has nothing firm to attach to other that the boxed and plastered RSJ. All the guides insist fixing to a ceiling joist of some sort but this isn't possible in my case?

Any suggestion much appreciated.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
First one is most common practice.

Pitfalls:
If the floor gets damaged (think water leaking onto chipboard floor) then replacing the floor will be harder with the first option.

Second option eliminates this but give you less timber to fix skirting to. Which means you should double up the bottom plate.
Or cut a section of the flooring to the same size of the floorplate and fix it on before hand.

Then of course if you want to remove the wall in the future, you will have a gap in the floor to replace.

Read through the above and figure out what's best for you.

The plasterboard will be fixed to timber grounds on the rsj, suggest poking holes in the board where the top of the wall will go, to find these. You could also glue it on with a gripfill type adhesive, but it will be permanent.

Build the wall first.

You would then fit the floor to existing house levels then mebbe extend the floor out of the new door opening by say 300mm forming a threshold step.

The step would be finished with say a bull nosed overhanging tread with a trimmed riser. We have used bull nosed mdf window-board and it works well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back