Stud Wall Help......means of escape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Am currently tearing my hair out.

I am about to start a loft conversion in London and i am told i have 2 choices in order to comply with building regulations (means of escape): 1) sprinkler system & 2) stud wall.

The sprinkler system and associated works is way too expensive and the stud wall will ruin the open plan layout.

My question is as follows..........lots of people in the area either dont have these walls or they have come down after the building regs have been signed off. If the wall was to come down and a fire was to break out then how would this effect my house insurance as surely this wall doesnt stop a fire, it merely gives you an extra 60 seconds to get out of the house?

Does anyone have any tips / advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your insurance would be invalid. When there is a raging inferno an additional 60 seconds with which to escape will seem like a lifetime. Rest assured that if you did happen to experience a fire and have no means of escape you will not have any hair left with which to tear out and furthermore your insurance will be the last thing on your mind, it is more likely to be the face of your first born flashing in front of your eyes.

Furthermore, a fire wall in this situation, if built correctly with a properly fitted door that has been closed will provide 30mins of protection not 60 seconds as you seem to think. Very occasionally BC will accept additional linked detectors as an alternative.

Thanks very much for coming back to me.

It is a tiny tiny house and i'm more trying to figure out about actual house insurance vs personal injury caused by fire being void.

For example, a fire door and wall will not stop a) the origin of the fire nor b) the eventual spreading, especially if the door is left open (and they must be left open a lot).

I find it amazing that certain houses built before a certain time can have open plan and not worry regarding insurance yet i have to? Are you saying that all houses where stud walls have been taken down (and there are a lot) have made their house insurance void?

Do you see my point?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only building regulations that apply when making an insurance claim are those that were in effect at the time of the works. Many houses have open plan areas, such as three story staircases, which were perfectly acceptable at the time they were built but would not be allowed if built now.

Building regulations are always reactive - they are adapted and added to when a certain practise or technique would have protected life or property had it been used in the past. The fact that you are required to install adequate fire/escape protection is only because hundreds of familes have been devastated in the past by not having it. Be thankful that they made that sacrifice to keep your family safe, rather than trying to find a way to ignore it.

Are you saying that all houses where stud walls have been taken down (and there are a lot) have made their house insurance void?

Yes, they have. Or more specifically for any fire damage or associated loss of life their insurance will likely be void if the wall was required by the building regulations, and indeed they could be pursued for significant costs and face criminal charges if any third parties are affected. After a fire the insurance company and their loss adjusters will check for any building work that could have affected the loss, and will check to ensure the building regulations compliance of that work. They will know which building regulations were in force at the time of the work because of the LA notification and compliance certification so they will know if a wall should be there. If it wasn't then they will adjust the cover accordingly, and if the non-compliance was a cause of any/all damage or loss of life then they will remove all cover for that claim.

Fire doors should always remain closed when not in use, and are usually fitted with closers to enforce this. It is allowable to hold a door open as long as it automatically released when a local fire detection alarm is activated, but it must not be propped open. Properly fitted fire doors will self-seal into the frame and can give 30 mins minimum and sometimes more time to enact an escape or be rescued. Crucially they block smoke passage which is usually the killer in domestic fires. A stud wall will offer similar protection.

fire1.jpg

Fortunately I have never personally had to escape a building that was on fire. However I have been back into one afterwards (fire in a flat) and the striking image that left with me was how effective fire doors are at preventing the spread of flames and smoke. The direct damage and smoke staining inside the flat was severe, yet standing on the other side of the main fire door you would never know of the damage.

You don't mention the details of your house/conversion, but I'm assuming that fire doors have been requested for the occupied rooms that open onto the existing stairway, or that the new stairway be enclosed with a fire door? Fire doors don't have to be ugly, most styles can be made to FD30 spec. Normally a stud wall would only be required to create a protected escape route (e.g. stairs or a hallway), so you may be able to change the layout to make it less obtrusive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back